TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD

Final approval given by Ofcom, launching in 2019 (March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
That will be a 'new' situation now that 2 Scotland has gone. I'll guess they'll have to go back to 'except for viewers...'

It's not a new situation, BBC One programmes are promoted on BBC4, BBC News and on radio too

Oops, very true.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
As I understand it Alba is played out from Glasgow presentation, but it doesn't have a playout suite to itself.

Alba is played out from Glasgow and shares a suite with CMTX. It is not part of the main Pres Area.

I gather from reading between the lines of the BBC commissioning site that CMTX is a bit like the media hubs in English regions? I'd be interested in some more detail of how BBC Alba is played out from there.

I seem to recall posts from Tony Currie during the Election broadcast talking about Alba's coverage - would they use the spare pres suite for non standard occasions like that?
ST
South Today
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but is BBC Scotland available to view via Sky in England? I presume it's a case of manual tuning? If anyone could be so kind to provide the details please.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but is BBC Scotland available to view via Sky in England? I presume it's a case of manual tuning? If anyone could be so kind to provide the details please.

Sky channels 457 and 876.
TC
TonyCurrie
As I understand it Alba is played out from Glasgow presentation, but it doesn't have a playout suite to itself.

Alba is played out from Glasgow and shares a suite with CMTX. It is not part of the main Pres Area.

I gather from reading between the lines of the BBC commissioning site that CMTX is a bit like the media hubs in English regions? I'd be interested in some more detail of how BBC Alba is played out from there.

I seem to recall posts from Tony Currie during the Election broadcast talking about Alba's coverage - would they use the spare pres suite for non standard occasions like that?

No, CMTX is in all respects a fully operational pres suite and is now manned by an Announcer-Director, although all the continuity is pre-recorded. Much of the Alba output is live and requires manual intervention - football, shinty, the Mod for example.
ST
South Today

Sky channels 457 and 876.

Thank you! Very Happy
NT
NorthTonight
No Football Focus and Nigellissima tomorrow because BBC One Scotland opting out for Lib Dem conference.

Raging! 😆
:-(
A former member
It would have made more sense doing this all last week when Holyrood was on its Holidays
RT
TheRealThomanory

When BBC Scotland is off the air: "This is BBC Scotland" plays until it comes on air on Sunday 22nd February 2019.
JA
JAS84
Uh, the 22nd was Friday.
RO
Rofters
JAS84 posted:
Uh, the 22nd was Friday.

Has half term finished yet?...
rob, Ittr and james-2001 gave kudos
HB
HarryB
Didn’t realise BBC Scotland was going to be available to the whole country. I’m in the BBC south region and on my virgin media guide on channel 162 is BBC Scotland HD. Nice to see it added

Newer posts