The Newsroom

Changes to BBC Parliament & Political Programming

(July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
chris posted:
RDJ posted:
It's quite unreasonable of the BBC to decline Andrew's request of filming the show earlier. For a nearly 70 year old man to be hosting a show well past midnight live, I think it's justified that Andrew would want to tape it earlier.

There'd be nothing stopping them recording the show earlier that evening, just like Question Time does. There's no element of the show that would require it to be live, other than when it is broadcasting a by-election result.

I guess the BBC saw this as the perfect opportunity to shelve the show completely. It's not surprising the decision has received the backlash that it has.

He asked for it to be screened earlier, not recorded earlier.

Wouldn't be surprised if Neil and co end up hosting something similar elsewhere.

I was thinking the same. As much as I’d like to see it, not sure ITV would pick it up for a 10:45 slot. But I could see a Channel 4 version emerging - perhaps Sunday night?

I was not thinking terrestrial television.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Maybe ITV could bring back that ITN-produced programme called "After The News" with Andrew Neil hosting? That would be quite a good vehicle for him, maybe alternating with Emma Barnett. I thought Nick Ferrari was the weaker of the presenters during its initial run, so Neil would be a good replacement in my opinion.
JK
JKDerry
Channel 4's political programming and satire has been lacking recently, especially since the ending of Bremner, Bird and Fortune around the 2010 general election, so a new programme with Andrew at the helm along with Portillo would be a good idea for Channel 4 to try, and if it failed it wouldn't matter too much.
BR
Brekkie
Always found it odd that Andrew Neil was generally a BBC face but on election night up until recently would generally turn up on ITV.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Channel 4's political programming and satire has been lacking recently, especially since the ending of Bremner, Bird and Fortune around the 2010 general election, so a new programme with Andrew at the helm along with Portillo would be a good idea for Channel 4 to try, and if it failed it wouldn't matter too much.

I'm not sure how much room there is for political satire at the moment, it's hard to tell what is news reporting and analysis and what is satire these days
Night Thoughts, Brekkie and London Lite gave kudos
MD
mdtauk
The only way to do political satire now, would be to show how a fictional government, would handle Brexit, if they made the correct choices.
woodnorton and james-2001 gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Guess The Last Leg ticks that box now.
theTOTHlad2002 and watchingtv gave kudos
WL
W1LL
Nick Robinson presenting Politics Live tomorrow and then Adam Fleming on Thursday. Is this the first time Politics Live hasn’t been presented by Jo or Andrew?
SC
Schwing
Nick Robinson presenting Politics Live tomorrow and then Adam Fleming on Thursday. Is this the first time Politics Live hasn’t been presented by Jo or Andrew?

No. Emma Barnett and Vicki Young have both presented the programme.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I thought Adam Fleming was very refreshing today. It was a very relaxed presentation, not a million miles away from Brexitcast.
DV
DVB Cornwall
'This Week' end date from the horse's mouth

if there is still any doubt.
LL
London Lite Founding member
New backdrop to Monday in Parliament using Reith.

Spencer, Stuart and bilky asko gave kudos

Newer posts