TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
As well as the attendance issue I do think having so many games televised does devalue the coverage of the cup some what - think this weekend 7 out of 8 games had live coverage with just one 3pm kick off, which presumably was broadcast live elsewhere in the world.
RD
rdd Founding member
Wimbledon v Milwall was the only 3pm. Eir Sport has the rights to broadcast 3pm games and BBC fixtures in ROI.

But, er, they didn’t bother to show it. (Or a 3pm in the Fourth Round Proper for that matter).
DV
DVB Cornwall
Let's run our collective minds over the FA CUP SIXTH ROUND
Millwall v Brighton & Hove Albion
Swansea City v Manchester City
Watford v Crystal Palace
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United

I'm presuming
BBC - fixtures at Wolverhampton and Watford.
BT - Swansea and Millwall

anyone suspect otherwise?
BR
Brekkie
Is BBC third or fourth pick, though not much to choose between them really.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Is BBC third or fourth pick, though not much to choose between them really.

I'd assumed third, giving the Watford match to them based on the 'London' rivalry.
RD
RDJ
Just as the post that I mentioned this before is now closed (https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1111869#post-1111869) I though I'd post on here.

I've stumbled across a clip of RTE's Network 2 from 2000 where it seems they have reused/stolen/taken Channel 4's racing titles for their own.

Did RTÉ generally use the Channel 4 Racing theme for their own racing coverage?
JA
JAS84
rdd posted:
Wimbledon v Milwall was the only 3pm. Eir Sport has the rights to broadcast 3pm games and BBC fixtures in ROI.

But, er, they didn’t bother to show it. (Or a 3pm in the Fourth Round Proper for that matter).

I thought 3pm Saturday KOs were banned from being televised?
IS
Inspector Sands
JAS84 posted:

I thought 3pm Saturday KOs were banned from being televised?

Only in the UK

(though other countries have their own equivalent bans of coverage of their matches too)
CH
chinamug
RDJ posted:
Just as the post that I mentioned this before is now closed (https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1111869#post-1111869) I though I'd post on here.

I've stumbled across a clip of RTE's Network 2 from 2000 where it seems they have reused/stolen/taken Channel 4's racing titles for their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQDKRVNDHc

Did RTÉ generally use the Channel 4 Racing theme for their own racing coverage?

RTE used to show a lot of UK racing in the 80's and 90's. Generally, they would just relay either the BBC or ITV/C4 coverage, so the same programme would go out in the afternoon with theme music and all. Cheltenham was one of the exceptions because there was a highlights show. They still usually showed the BBC/C4 coverage when it went out live, but at night it was their own links and interviews. They used the same music for that one show. They did start to do their own links for the live Cheltenham meeting shows at some point around 2000 as well. It was also around this point that live coverage of UK racing was only for Cheltenham and The Grand National. Almost all other UK racing was dropped at that stage. Racing fans were able to watch BBC/C4 or At The Races and the Racing Channel.

RTE's Irish Racing coverage had it's own music as far as I'm aware. Most racing following houses in the country would know that the C4 music was for UK racing so using it for RTE racing (outside of Cheltenham) would have caused confusion.
Last edited by chinamug on 20 February 2019 5:45am
CH
chinamug
Just to add here a link to the theme that RTE were using in 2000 for their racing.

Possibly the Worst theme I have heard for any sports programme in the UK or Ireland. Shocked
RD
rdd Founding member
Dear god, I don’t remember that one at all! Awful stuff! (I suspect it’s one RTÉ aren’t keen to remember either).

Sports Stadium, RTÉ’s version of Grandstand (which had been axed in 1997) filled up a lot of its hours relaying exactly whatever racing Grandstand happened to be showing. A lot of the time they would freeze frame the result of the race when they finished their coverage, but sometimes not, and it wouldn’t be unusual to get a few seconds of Des Lynam or Steve Rider before the cut back to the RTÉ studio. Of course, memorably the Sports Stadium theme was Europe’s “The Final Countdown”, probably the anthesis of the above.

It’s theme music like that that possibly drove whoever in RTÉ, about 2003, decided to junk all of its sports themes and replace them with various “ominous Latin chanting” type themes (even The Sunday Game’s theme was not immune, though they brought it back a few years later). The rugby union theme is still there, a relic of that era. Can’t remember if racing got one though.
JK
JKDerry
rdd posted:
Dear god, I don’t remember that one at all! Awful stuff! (I suspect it’s one RTÉ aren’t keen to remember either).

Sports Stadium, RTÉ’s version of Grandstand (which had been axed in 1997) filled up a lot of its hours relaying exactly whatever racing Grandstand happened to be showing. A lot of the time they would freeze frame the result of the race when they finished their coverage, but sometimes not, and it wouldn’t be unusual to get a few seconds of Des Lynam or Steve Rider before the cut back to the RTÉ studio. Of course, memorably the Sports Stadium theme was Europe’s “The Final Countdown”, probably the anthesis of the above.

It’s theme music like that that possibly drove whoever in RTÉ, about 2003, decided to junk all of its sports themes and replace them with various “ominous Latin chanting” type themes (even The Sunday Game’s theme was not immune, though they brought it back a few years later). The rugby union theme is still there, a relic of that era. Can’t remember if racing got one though.

You have to remember the budget RTE had and has for sport, especially back in the 60s to the 90s. It was a dribble. The best they could do was provide the coverage from the BBC or ITV.

For a good part of Ireland in the 60s - 90s, they did not have access to the UK channels, and so RTE provided sporting coverage from BBC Grandstand and to a lesser degree ITV World of Sport during this time.

Apres Match gang really took the mick out of this in their special looking back at the 1980s and just how appalling RTE Sports coverage was. Coming from a studio the size of a garage, with plywood board for a backdrop and an inept presenter at the helm.

Newer posts