« Topics
JKDerry1,798 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
Are the One O'Clock News ones from the 80s still around? I think there's two different ones from different days.

The worst was the one where they opened with Michael Burke interviewing someone down the line because none of the reports were ready.

One O'Clock News, you mean the 1986 Christmas one with Philip Hayton?
james-20015,055 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Are the One O'Clock News ones from the 80s still around? I think there's two different ones from different days.

The worst was the one where they opened with Michael Burke interviewing someone down the line because none of the reports were ready.

One O'Clock News, you mean the 1986 Christmas one with Philip Hayton?

There's two different ones as I said- the one you mention with Phillip Hayton, and another with Michael Burke- which as I mentioned began with a DTL interview because none of the reports were ready.
JKDerry1,798 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
Here is the link to the December 1986 One O'Clock News with talkback with the poor Philip Hayton at the helm, his first time presenting the One O'Clock News and all is not well in the gallery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uocWx1-7Uo&t=1136s

Interesting that video opens with a physical VT clock, suprised they were still using them as late as 1986.

The Michael Burke one was from 1989, when the Chancellor of the Exchequer resigned. Wasn't it part of a behind the scene of BBC News programme?
JamesM0984
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Oh I remember the blue bug.

Don't remember 88 but remember 90 and 92. 92 ran over a weekend but 90 was a Sunday into a bank holiday Monday IIRC.

Didn't TV-AM have offer their slot to the network at least once to avoid triggering a nationwide industrial dispute?
Steve Williams2,780 posts since 1 Aug 2008
Oh I remember the blue bug.

Don't remember 88 but remember 90 and 92. 92 ran over a weekend but 90 was a Sunday into a bank holiday Monday IIRC.

Didn't TV-AM have offer their slot to the network at least once to avoid triggering a nationwide industrial dispute?

In 1988 TVam didn't contribute at all as it was during their industrial dispute and the technicians said they would boycott it if they did. They did contribute to the other two, but I remember in 1992 they had the local numbers on screen throughout their bit, so presumably it was just like any other contribution.

In 1988 and 1990 it was over the late May Bank Holiday weekend, from 7pm on Sunday to 10pm on Monday. In 1992 it ran over a weekend in July, from 7.30pm on Saturday to 11.30pm on Sunday.