The Newsroom

Changes to BBC Parliament & Political Programming

(July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
What exactly were you expecting him to say? Can’t say I expected any reference at all.

To treat the audience who loves the show with a little bit of respect by announcing he is leaving, instead of ignoring it and pretending nothing has happened, that the show will continue on. By ignoring the announcement, he gave viewers a feeling the show will carry on, and apparently that is not the case.
WH
Whataday Founding member
What exactly were you expecting him to say? Can’t say I expected any reference at all.

To treat the audience who loves the show with a little bit of respect by announcing he is leaving, instead of ignoring it and pretending nothing has happened, that the show will continue on. By ignoring the announcement, he gave viewers a feeling the show will carry on, and apparently that is not the case.

He didn't even announce he was leaving, so how on Earth does that give viewers any feeling about the future of the show?
Brekkie and tightrope78 gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
Those in the Westminster bubble and politicos will already know that This Week is being axed.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member

It's not ending until July. There may well be another 20 shows to go. Until then it's business as usual. They probably want to announce something within the show nearer the time or if / when they have lined up something else to replace it.

It's not uncommon for shows that are ending to not draw attention to that fact until much later to their end.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Also, the news broke an hour or so before they went on air, so perhaps they had no time to fit in a mention.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Relevant news

:-(
A former member
I’d have gone for Sunday night, personally. It feels like a Sunday night kind of show.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I don't think Eddie is particularly fond of doing television. Got the impression he was more at home behind a mic.

Give him the right format and he's brilliant on screen. BBC Three News, anyone?
TO
theTOTHlad2002
I don't think Eddie is particularly fond of doing television. Got the impression he was more at home behind a mic.

BBC Four News Very Happy
TI
tightrope78

It was Eddie Mair, standing in for Andrew Marr, who gave us that wonderful character assassination of Boris a few years ago. One of my favourite interviews ever.
SJ
sjhoward
Completely uninformed speculation alert: I wouldn't be too shocked to see a TV version of Brexitcast (presumably renamed!) filling the gap.

It's a broadly tonally similar production (but perhaps with more enthusiasm and less cynicism) which skews significantly younger. The Politics Live "takeovers" show that there's some desire to try it out on TV.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Completely uninformed speculation alert: I wouldn't be too shocked to see a TV version of Brexitcast (presumably renamed!) filling the gap.

I was going to call this too! Equally uninformed speculation though. The problem I can foresee is getting the participants to Millbank each weel, as generally Katya, Laura, Adam & Chris present from different locations.

Newer posts