« Topics
BFGArmy317 posts since 15 Jan 2018
London London
GMB seem to focus more on getting on guests who'll grab headlines than who'll actually have anything of merit to say. The naked woman this morning is a perfect example of this.

You don't say. Quite often they seem to take their cue from one of the presenters (naming no names...)
Aaron_20151,086 posts since 11 Mar 2015
Westcountry Spotlight
GMB seem to focus more on getting on guests who'll grab headlines than who'll actually have anything of merit to say. The naked woman this morning is a perfect example of this.

Couldn’t agree more, what guests actually have to say and whether it is newsworthy has become an irrelevance, as long as it generates headlines the editorial team are satisfied.

The debates they have are so utterly contrived and meaningless, they are usually based on very small surveys or obscure columns/Twitter posts. GMB very much succeeds at generating faux outrage without much substance.
DavidWhitfield gave kudos
mccanmat559 posts since 15 Jul 2005

Agreed. She soon turned into into a feminist conversation. Thank the Lord Piers wasn't on...

Because people should have said there were 3 t*ts on display on GMB? 🤣
Thats The Weather For Now *Nod* *Point Hand*

"Good Evening and here is an illustrated summary of the news it will be followed by the latest film of events and happenings home and abroad"
030293 gave kudos
freddied056576 posts since 29 Dec 2016
Meridian (South) South Today
Completely off the previous topic, but I'm just wondering what people think about GMB vs GMTV. I love the Piers rants, they make me laugh and bring a bit of flame to the program, which is good. However, watching GMTV opens on YouTube I cant help but want it back. It was a truly great program, with a great set and brilliant music (I'm talking about before the 2009 refresh). It all went downhill in 2009, however I was just wondering, what would you guys prefer? GMB or the 2008 incarnation of GMTV?
bai494388 posts since 2 Aug 2007
STV Central Reporting Scotland
Completely off the previous topic, but I'm just wondering what people think about GMB vs GMTV. I love the Piers rants, they make me laugh and bring a bit of flame to the program, which is good. However, watching GMTV opens on YouTube I cant help but want it back. It was a truly great program, with a great set and brilliant music (I'm talking about before the 2009 refresh). It all went downhill in 2009, however I was just wondering, what would you guys prefer? GMB or the 2008 incarnation of GMTV?

Some of us would prefer TV-am from the 1989-1992 era. That's how breakfast TV should be done!
Whataday9,842 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today

2008 GMTV definitely. I prefer the more intimate nature of the presentation. No sweeping shots of a shiny studio. It was more simple, cosy, feeling almost like an extended in-vision continuity. That intimacy meant viewers felt like a part of the family, which is not really the case today.

Rolling News673 posts since 27 Dec 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
2008 GMTV definitely. There was just something so homely and cosy about the whole setup. I know Fiona had her critics at the time but to me she was just human and normal. And I absolutely loved Penny Smith. She had a sense of humour like no other. I do like Piers and Susanna and think they're brilliant together and prefer it over the dull and beige Dan and Louise on the other side but there was something special about GMTV which made it a beautiful craft.
London London
The GMTV content though was utter rubbish - which is why the ratings tumbled. Total celeb worship - even when there were events like floods in the UK they'd normally instead go to Carla Romano in LA prattling on instead. And the less said about the nauseating celeb interviews the better and the limp political interviews with Labour politicians the better.
I get there's a role for 'lighter' TV but GMTV was a running joke by the time it ended.

Now the 'Bill and Sian' days on Breakfast how I miss those. Two great news broadcasters and a great on-screen pairing who could do light-hearted but could also deal well with the harder news stories. Simon Jack, Carol Kirkwood, Sian Williams and Bill Turnbull - we didn't realise how good we had it.
Last edited by BFGArmy on 14 February 2019 9:58am - 2 times in total
London London
That said whatever happened to Helen Fospero - she started to appear in the last few years of GMTV (after being on Sky News) and was a complete natural at Breakfast TV but not sure I've seen her on screen since really?
VMPhil9,494 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
The GMTV content though was utter rubbish - which is why the ratings tumbled. Total celeb worship - even when there were events like floods in the UK they'd normally instead go to Carla Romano in LA prattling on instead. And the less said about the nauseating celeb interviews the better and the limp political interviews with Labour politicians the better.
I get there's a role for 'lighter' TV but GMTV was a running joke by the time it ended.

Now the 'Bill and Sian' days on Breakfast how I miss those. Two great news broadcasters and a great on-screen pairing who could do light-hearted but could also deal well with the harder news stories. Simon Jack, Carol Kirkwood, Sian Williams and Bill Turnbull - we didn't realise how good we had it.

Well, GMTV was always like that. There’s a video from 2002 where the headline is about I’m a Celeb, and Fiona jokes “Can’t be much happening…”. I think the declining ratings were as a result of the fallout from the competition scandal.