TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD

Final approval given by Ofcom, launching in 2019 (March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
There isnt enough money.
LH
lhx1985
There isn't enough money to do this on top of everything that they currently do.

There wasn't enough money to do BBC Scotland until priorities changed.

I'd have thought that regional programming would be 'distinctive'. That's a very important attribute when trying to secure your next Royal Charter.
BR
Brekkie
Everyone is wondering when will the yet-to-be-launched channel will shutdown, and how the new channel will even fill its schedules. But I have another question.

If the new BBC Scotland channel ever turns out to be a success, will the BBC roll out the new dedicated channels for other nations and English regions, and turn BBC One and Two into sole nationwide channels without any regional opt-out? Germany's ARD (Das Erste) and ZDF have no regional opt-out, and all of ARD's regional members air regional contents on their own TV channels.

That's an optimistic way to look at it, though in reality even filling the schedules for a post-7pm CBeebies timeshare looks unrealistic once you get beyond regional news.
SS
SuperSajuuk
Something that I hope that the launch of BBC Scotland can do is allow for more coverage of Scottish-hosted sports, like snooker. One thing that’s always annoyed me is how BBC Wales is able to screen the Welsh Open snooker as an own broadcast, despite the BBC primarily only screening the triple crown events (uk, masters and worlds).

Even after the Home Nations series of events began a few years ago, the BBC have not even tried to screen the other local tournaments on BBC NI, BBC England or BBC Scotland, only being available on Eurosport/Quest, which does nothing to improve the chances of players taking up the sport.

I hope the BBC scotland team decide to make an attempt to bid for broadcasting rights and do something similar to how BBC Wales do it (so local sports presenters and scottish based commentators) and make the channel more useful than just for The Nine.
JM
JamesM0984
Such a cruel waste of public money.
JO
Jon
Something that I hope that the launch of BBC Scotland can do is allow for more coverage of Scottish-hosted sports, like snooker. One thing that’s always annoyed me is how BBC Wales is able to screen the Welsh Open snooker as an own broadcast, despite the BBC primarily only screening the triple crown events (uk, masters and worlds).

Even after the Home Nations series of events began a few years ago, the BBC have not even tried to screen the other local tournaments on BBC NI, BBC England or BBC Scotland, only being available on Eurosport/Quest, which does nothing to improve the chances of players taking up the sport.

I hope the BBC scotland team decide to make an attempt to bid for broadcasting rights and do something similar to how BBC Wales do it (so local sports presenters and scottish based commentators) and make the channel more useful than just for The Nine.

There is nothing stopping BBC Scotland bidding for the rights to the Scottish open, it just they have chosen to use their funds in different ways. I’m not sure the Welsh Open is of any more interest to Welsh Snooker fans than the Scottish or NI ones is to them, and I don’t see why Snooker fans in the rest of the UK would not be as interested in the Welsh Open any more than the Welsh Snooker fans, surely you either enjoy Snooker or you don’t. There is also no such thing as BBC England and there won’t even be a BBC Two England to air the English Open on.
Jeffmister and SuperSajuuk gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Such a cruel waste of public money.

Yep how dare they spend license fee money on a TV channel. Whatever next? Rolling Eyes
Jeffmister, Josh and UKnews gave kudos
GO
gottago
Has the yet to properly launch iPlayer page been posted on here yet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcscotland
LH
lhx1985
cruel

Good to see you haven't lost any sense of perspective. Rolling Eyes
TV
TVVT
I think merging with BBC Alba would be better and save BBC4 from moving to channel 82
SS
SuperSajuuk
Jon posted:

There is nothing stopping BBC Scotland bidding for the rights to the Scottish open, it just they have chosen to use their funds in different ways. I’m not sure the Welsh Open is of any more interest to Welsh Snooker fans than the Scottish or NI ones is to them, and I don’t see why Snooker fans in the rest of the UK would not be as interested in the Welsh Open any more than the Welsh Snooker fans, surely you either enjoy Snooker or you don’t. There is also no such thing as BBC England and there won’t even be a BBC Two England to air the English Open on.

Well there are the english regions that could have collaborated to make a bid, but yeah, you do have a point. It would be nice but it is probably a pipe dream To think they’ll bid.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I think merging with BBC Alba would be better and save BBC4 from moving to channel 82

I think a joint English/Gaelic service is likely to please nobody.

Newer posts