« Topics
RDJ2,716 posts since 25 Oct 2003
Central (South) Midlands Today
ITV is not well known for Comedy and never has been. When it used to broadcast the British Comedy Awards, everyone questioned why it was broadcast on ITV when they contribute very little to Comedy.

They pick up on the odd gem but they milk the hell out of it when they do. Benidorm lasted 7 series too many.
Central News South
January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
Si-Co gave kudos
nwtv20038,377 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
I'm amazed we've got to page 6 of this thread without a single mention of Barbara, which is usually the go-to option when talking about successful ITV sitcoms.

So underrated and under repeated.
Probably ITV’s most funny sitcom.

More shockingly it was probably one of the only decent things to have the Carlton name attached to it. I believe it was the last sitcom to be filmed at Lenton Lane.
steve
steviegTVreturns
james-20015,058 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Wasn't Barabara technically a Central production? Just made around the time of the switch to Carlton.

And I don't think it was the last, Doctors and Nurses, which went out on BBC1 in 2004, was.

I think the last series of Barbara was made quite a while before it went out, IIRC it was split into two series with a gap of around a year in the middle (but they were all made at the same time). Was probably made a good couple of years before Lenton Lane closed.
bilky asko5,495 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

It should be on repeat more, didn't they say they were resting Heartbeat and The Royal?

I wish they'd moved them on into the 70s, may have given them an extended life compared to being stuck in a 60s limbo for 18 years.

Didn't they have more Christmases in Heartbeat than there were Christmases in the 1960s?

Of course, there was the spin-off of The Royal: The Royal Today. Not particularly successful if I recall correctly.
DJ Dave gave kudos
Whataday10,028 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today

It should be on repeat more, didn't they say they were resting Heartbeat and The Royal?

I wish they'd moved them on into the 70s, may have given them an extended life compared to being stuck in a 60s limbo for 18 years.

Didn't they have more Christmases in Heartbeat than there were Christmases in the 1960s?

Well yes, considering their decade lasted for 18 years (or longer if you consider it was meant to be 1964 when it started).