TV Home Forum

BBC Three returns to TV on BBC One

Monday - Wednesday at 10:35pm (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TC
TCOTV
A new BBC Three slot has been created on BBC One Monday - Wednesday after a shorter news at ten at 10:35pm.

Full press releases:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/youth-programming-news-at-ten?ns_linkname=corporate&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_press_office
Last edited by TCOTV on 11 February 2019 3:43pm
Ash101, BBI45 and Josh gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450
Hold on, someone predicted this.
BB
BBI45
The Return of BBC II!

This comes across (to me anyway) as "Whoops! Might have been a mistake to shut BBC Three down."
BM
BM11
It wouldn’t surprise me if this doesn’t last long due to poor ratings or problems shortening the news does to the BBC reputation causes a panicked rethink.
LH
lhx1985
Wonder if there'll be a resurrection of those clunky "BBC THREE on BBC ONE"-style DOGs we saw for the first few months after the launch of BBC Four and then BBC Three?

At least it's a way of airing content that's 'new' to most viewers, already in the can and presumably comes without cost to BBC One's budget!
JA
james-2001
At least it's a way of airing content that's 'new' to most viewers, already in the can and presumably comes without cost to BBC One's budget!

Helps provide cheap schedule filler in these DQF times!
TC
TCOTV
BBI45 posted:
This comes across (to me anyway) as "Whoops! Might have been a mistake to shut BBC Three down."

I agree with you. No matter what you think of BBC Three on TV it appealed to a younger and diverse audience. Most of this audience was lost when the channel was axed. They simply failed to get the type of audience that BBC Three once had onto other BBC channels which is crucial to the BBC’s future.
JF
JetixFann450
TCOTV posted:
BBI45 posted:

I agree with you. No matter what you think of BBC Three on TV it appealed to a younger and diverse audience. Most of this audience was lost when the channel was axed. They simply failed to get the type of audience that BBC Three once had onto other BBC channels which is crucial to the BBC’s future.

They believed that audiences would stick around on iPlayer, and while Killing Eve and Class (both of which were marketed as BBC3 dramas) both got popular, no one was really going to stick around for content they can find elsewhere else.

BuzzFeed, The Verge and every other news source in the world has literally done what BBC3 creates for it's other short form online content, far succeeding it a lot of the time. There are people who watch some BBC3 shows, but they're not going to stick around for it's other content because they can find other places for that. I think the BBC needs to re-think their strategy of focusing to young teenagers and adults, since everywhere else has done it.
Jeffmister and Brekkie gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
BM11 posted:
It wouldn’t surprise me if this doesn’t last long due to poor ratings or problems shortening the news does to the BBC reputation causes a panicked rethink.

I doubt the BBC care about reputation from shortening news
OR
orange
I actually ventured back into BBC 3 for the first time since shut down a couple weeks back and then realised most of the new shows are literally less than 10 minutes long... really perplexing.
DB
dbl
TCOTV posted:
A new BBC Three slot has been created on BBC One Monday - Wednesday after a shorter news at ten at 10:35pm.

Full press releases:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/youth-programming-news-at-ten?ns_linkname=corporate&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_press_office

Well overdue! BBC Three currently is like a pale imitation of Buzzfeed, and should stick to what it's good at - comedy/comedy-dramas. No matter how they brand it, BBC Three on iPlayer just isn't the same.
TCOTV and JetixFann450 gave kudos
TC
TCOTV
BBC Three should stick to longform content. Young people don't go to Netflix to watch a ten minuet show.

I wonder how long this idea has been in the planning. Drag Race UK is a big show that BBC Three won over many other shows. I wonder if it's because they said it have a main slot on BBC One?

Anyway it will be intresting to see how BBC Three looks and develops on BBC One. #Threeness
Jeffmister and JetixFann450 gave kudos

Newer posts