The Newsroom

BBC News at 10 to be shorter

From March 4th. (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CU
Custard56
On a separate note, I may be mis-remembering but didn't they try to cut down the length of the News at One a while ago? I haven't watched it for ages but I see it's still 45 minutes long. Wasn't there a period when, instead of cutting the 45 minute slot down all together, they reduced the regional bulletin and padded the 45 minutes out with a Sports segment between the end of the national bulletin and beginning of the shorter regional bulletin?

Do they still do this?
Last edited by Custard56 on 10 February 2019 12:57pm
AS
AlexS
On a separate note, I may be mis-remembering but didn't they try to cut down the length of the News at One a while ago? I haven't watched it for ages but I see it's still 45 minutes long. Wasn't there a period when, instead of cutting the 45 minute slot down all together, they reduced the regional bulletin and padded the 45 minutes out with a Sports segment between the end of the national bulletin and beginning of the shorter regional bulletin?

Do they still do this?

When the Ten was first extended to 30+15 the regional part of the one was reduced to 5 minutes with additional news and sport filling the extra 10 minutes. Within a few months the one returned to its previous format.
Brekkie and Custard56 gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
The post news slot has much less new content in it than it did a few years ago, so I don’t know why they are pretending they are interested in this slot.

Besides Question Time the only new content is usually a heavy PSB documentary. Everything else is either a repeat or a BBC Three repeat. Stuff like HIG old NFY seems to appear most weeks.

In reality it’ll be a budget cut, no longer will they need that ‘Tonight at 10, a special report on the crisis in..’ followed by 6 mins with Clive Myrie in some African or South American country. The regions will probably see a cut as well, no lives, less crew in the gallery.
BR
Brekkie
I guess once Brexit is done and dusted and Trump is out of office all news bulletins can be cut to 10 minutes.

Indeed does anyone even remember what the news used to show before Brexit?
CU
Custard56
For those who can't read the rest of the article behind the Times paywall:

[[Mod edit: Please don't re-post entire articles that are behind a paywall/subscription based sites. If absolutely necessary please limit such quoting to only one or two sentences. ]]
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
If only they had a channel to capture that all so elusive younger audience. Rolling Eyes

That audience is being lost to Netflix. Unless there is a radical content change for BBC One post 10:30pm, shaving off a few minutes from news won't be capturing that audience.
Custard56, Brekkie and chevron gave kudos
WW
WW Update
Rolling Eyes

Here's the thread from 38 months ago when the extension was announced.

Presumably, we can just reverse the BBC's self-important congratulatory PR puff quotes from that time:

"The extended shortened Ten will give audiences even more less news analysis and explanation"

"Now we’ll have still more less scope to explain the events that impact the country and help to make sense of the changing world around us."

“Through research, our audience has told us that they want more less from our evening news service. This format allows audiences to see more fewer regional stories and gives us the no opportunity to get under the skin of the issues alongside content that reflects arts and culture in different parts of the UK.”

It all reminds me of this parody promo from Australia when the Ten Network kept extending and then cutting its evening news:

Night Thoughts and Rkolsen gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
The post news slot has much less new content in it than it did a few years ago, so I don’t know why they are pretending they are interested in this slot.

Besides Question Time the only new content is usually a heavy PSB documentary. Everything else is either a repeat or a BBC Three repeat. Stuff like HIG old NFY seems to appear most weeks.

The BBC3 scripted content seems to get thrown out after Graham Norton or MOTD too rather than at 10.45pm.
LS
Lou Scannon
As others have said it is just undoing what was done 2-3 years ago. In that time Newsnight has actually quietly been cut from 50 to 40 minutes a night - it's now scheduled to finish at 11.10 with the weather getting a 5 minute slot in the EPG.

I don't expect anyone here to agree with me at all, but...

I would advocate Newsnight becoming a 30-minute* programme five nights a week (*well, strictly speaking, about 28-minutes to allow for weather/trailers afterwards) starting at either precisely 22:30 or precisely 23:00, simulcast on BBC Two and the NC.

There may then be the odd rare occasion when it goes out on the NC only, if BBC Two is showing some live evening event/sport (either always planned that way, or dropped on-the-fly if the event overruns). In the case of an unplanned overrun that only partially eats into the should've-been-Newsnight slot, BBC Two could either milk the post-event waffle/punditry accordingly, or show some short-form filler programme.

Just an idea.
Ne1L C and watchingtv gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I wouldn't disagree.
TC
TCOTV
Charlotte Moore is the direct of content. I guess this is part of her bigger plan. My guess is BBC FOUR content will merge into BBC TWO. The problem with this at the moment is that BBC TWO try's to do more comedy and replays BBC Three content trying to reach (but failing) a younger audience. My guess is that BBC Three will close (think the boss is leaving and new replacement has not been announced) and the long form content will merge into BBC One after the news. They obviously want to start the content as early as possible to keep the audience more specifically the youth audience. I can see a BBC Three on BBC One slot as part of the hand over. BBC are failing the youth and they want to try and give that audience air time without having to set up a channel. Considering BBC One most nights after the news is dead or repeats this seems like the logical place to put it. It also has the potential to bring a youth audience to BBC One overall. I can see Family Guy on BBC One. New episodes like on a Monday at 9pm with cuckoo/fleabag at 9:30pm on BBC One with repeats of Family Guy on after 11pm after a typical BBC Three show or this week. BBC One can defiantly have more or a younger tone. Thins like BBC Three social media will be encourage to move over to BBC One social, etc. To me this make sense and brings the channel to a whole new audience. The way BBC One looks (branding) will have to change but there is potential. A lot of programming that's on BBC TWO that does not suit the BBC FOUR line up could easily move to BBC One to help fill the schedule out. This would then make it easy to merge BBC FOUR into BBC TWO. The branding on BBC TWO has a BBC FOUR feel so will fit in well. Closing BBC Three (online channel and short form social media content) and FOUR would make savings. I also see a more personal BBC iPlayer will being developed so when a young person (or anyone) logs onto iPlayer all the youth content will be there rather than under the BBC Three brand. Also more original commissions for iPlayer.

BBC News at ten will be more snappy and less dragged out as part of this change which I think is a good thing. Gives newsnight a chance.

I'm not normal a fan of Charlotte work but if this is the thinking and the plan then I get it and support it.
:-(
A former member
You think they’re going to put Family Guy on at 9pm on BBC 1?? Apart from the fact they no longer have the rights, this won’t happen in a million years.

Newer posts