TV Home Forum

I know Sat night Telly had problem but this is pushing it.

Rock Bottom? (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cando
Yes there's Strictly but it doesn't have a mass appeal.

Such nonsense

The BBC haven't had a massive Saturday night hit since Noel's House Party. Yes there's Strictly but it doesn't have a mass appeal. Unless you like watching ballroom dancing you won't like it.

Nonsense. Strictly is one of the most watched entertainment shows in the UK, the format is one of the most exported in the world. Mass appeal is exactly what it has. I don't even think Noel's ratings were that much higher than what Strictly currently achieves, and that was long before digital took off and SVOD was a challenger.

I agree and I'd say Noel in the modern era would be rating closer to Michael McIntyre's big show/ Saturday Night Takeaway than Strictly or I'm a Celebrity.
Last edited by Cando on 10 February 2019 11:51am
CA
Cando
Special Circumstances today. Six Nations on ITV, therefore little incentive to push slot.

I disagree with that.

Six Nations was on ITV last week as well, which was an England match (which wasn't the case today), and BBC 1 showed The Time it Takes and Celebrity Mastermind (both new episodes) in the same slot.

Mastermind was a repeat. Next week ITV have a Chase repeat in the 6pm slot, while BBC ONE has Toy Story.
Neither ITV or the BBC are going to launch new stuff pre 7pm while the FA Cup and 6 Nations are interrupting the early evening achedules well into March.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Cando posted:
Special Circumstances today. Six Nations on ITV, therefore little incentive to push slot.

I disagree with that.

Six Nations was on ITV last week as well, which was an England match (which wasn't the case today), and BBC 1 showed The Time it Takes and Celebrity Mastermind (both new episodes) in the same slot.

Mastermind was a repeat. Next week ITV have a Chase repeat in the 6pm slot, while BBC ONE has Toy Story.
Neither ITV or the BBC are going to launch new stuff pre 7pm while the FA Cup and 6 Nations are interrupting the early evening achedules well into March.

If they’d shown a repeat nobody would have batted an eyelid, it’s the fact they showed Escape to the Country
CA
Cando
Escape to the country 2.5m

Small Fortune 2.2m

Have the BBC found a new Saturday night teatime favourite? Wink

Cando posted:

I disagree with that.

If they’d shown a repeat nobody would have batted an eyelid, it’s the fact they showed Escape to the Country

I was commentating directly on Escape to the country in my post. I'll make sure to spell it out for you in future
AS
Asa Admin
That's the worry, daytime show ends up rating well! Before you know it we'll see a Homes Under the Hammer there.

Richard Osman recently has the idea of showing highlights of different daytime shows in one primetime programme! Only a joke but what a thought for an early Saturday evening slot Shocked
Gary Baldy and DeMarkay gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
Asa posted:
That's the worry, daytime show ends up rating well! Before you know it we'll see a Homes Under the Hammer there.

Richard Osman recently has the idea of showing highlights of different daytime shows in one primetime programme! Only a joke but what a thought for an early Saturday evening slot Shocked

I have the feeling BBC and ITV concentrate their Saturday night effort in the autumn with Strictly vs X Factor and that is it. We do have BGT on ITV soon, but because Ant and Dec's SNT is "rested" for 2019, there is no big live Saturday night appointment to view show this Spring. It feels both channels are saving their effort until September.
:-(
A former member
You could have fooled me, last Auttum ITV was dire, X Factor was shorter and there pushed out Harry potter films.
JA
JAS84
Escape To The Country was on at 5:25, which is only just outside traditional Saturday peaktime.

Obviously the BBC feel there is no need at the moment for something like the House Party in this day and age regardless of money or otherwise. Pointless and Casualty must be doing the dues for them easily, that and that Greatest Dancer show which I haven't seen but sounds like Strictly in new packaging.

Greatest Dancer is getting trounced by The Voice. It's not doing the dues at all.
BR
Brekkie
As often as they've aired before I thought using the early Saturday slot for films was the best use of the slot for years.
:-(
A former member
As often as they've aired before I thought using the early Saturday slot for films was the best use of the slot for years.

ITV got lazy, with the film selection.
MM
MiniMort
On a related note, I certainly can’t see Small Fortune returning for a second series. It’s another one of these gameshows that’ll be forgotten a few minutes after the last episode airs (I’m looking at you Spotless).

I know they aired a pilot of it just over a year ago but I’d love to see something like a reboot of the Price Is Right. It’s the sort of gameshow that would never take itself seriously, is a laugh for contestants and viewers alike, something people can play along with at home and needent blow the bank with a large budget (seeing that £90,000 was given away in Small Fortune last night).
MR
mr_vivian
They should give someone else a go at a live Saturday Evening show. Just because Ant and Dec rest theirs doesn't mean they shouldn't try with someone else as a filler.

Obviously the format would have to be different from SNT but at least there would be something similar in there to fill the gap.

Newer posts