TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
From 1982, a breakdown slide, American-style:

Last edited by WW Update on 10 February 2019 6:17am
CH
channel4squares1
Sounds like this could have happened late at night watching the video but RTE One from December 2000
IS
Inspector Sands
Interesting choice of breakdown music there. Not sure if the fluctuating speed is the tape they were playing it from or the tape the breakdown was recorded on
VM
VMPhil
An instrumental of “Gangsta’s Paradise” - surely the most unusual breakdown track to have come across yet!
channel4squares1 and james-2001 gave kudos
ET
ethanh05
An instrumental of “Gangsta’s Paradise” - surely the most unusual breakdown track to have come across yet!

I don't know, the UK Gold running bath...
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Interesting choice of breakdown music there. Not sure if the fluctuating speed is the tape they were playing it from or the tape the breakdown was recorded on

The first music is supposed to sound like that, it is a commercial piece of music. It's familiar but I can't remember who released it. Probably Todd Terry or something like that?

I could argue the most unusual "breakdown" tracks come from a certain YouTube individual, he who shall not be named but he uploads a large collection of so-called "breakdowns" and "junctions" using some of the inappropriate music ever going. But as none of those are real (never mind what he says) they don't count. Thank God.
CH
channel4squares1

The first music is supposed to sound like that, it is a commercial piece of music. It's familiar but I can't remember who released it. Probably Todd Terry or something like that?

I could argue the most unusual "breakdown" tracks come from a certain YouTube individual, he who shall not be named but he uploads a large collection of so-called "breakdowns" and "junctions" using some of the inappropriate music ever going. But as none of those are real (never mind what he says) they don't count. Thank God.

The first music is from Yomanda called Synth & Strings which was only released a year before this video.
IS
Inspector Sands

I know it's supposed to sound like that, as I say it's an odd choice (if it was a choice).

Breakdown music is normally generic, free to use stuff and calming. I can imagine the heart rate of the TC and engineers rising as they try to fix the fault while listening to some fast paced trance music.

And the viewers of HMS Pinafore will of course be massive Coolio fans
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 10 February 2019 11:41am - 2 times in total
JA
james-2001
Reminds me of when I was in a hotel in Germany and the (female) lounge singer they had in the bar did Gangsta's Paradise, which was bizarre!
FO
FanOfTV99

Still better than the shows on RTE today Laughing Laughing Laughing
MA
Markymark
It was probably a semi scheduled gap filler, rather than a breakdown filler, I can't remember, but I do recall TVS in their early days slapping on the Vangelis Chariots of Fire video, which the continuity announcer (Jenny Clulow ISTR) pronounced as 'Van--Jeeliss'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSav51fVlKU
JA
james-2001
Did that breakdown tape only have 2 songs on it? After Gangsta's Paradise they play the (very robotic sounding) announcement followed by the start of Synth & Strings again before cutting to the backup programe.

Newer posts