TV Home Forum

I know Sat night Telly had problem but this is pushing it.

Rock Bottom? (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
ITV have filled the void left by Noel's House Party with Saturday Night Takeaway.

It's now been 20 years since Noel's House Party ended, so I think it's unlikely that there will ever be a show like that on BBC One again.
:-(
A former member
I hated Noel’s House Party. Like, seriously. It was horrible.
A former member
I would like some fresh ideas, and a return to a proper full 6 hours.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Lynn, message from Alan, TV show featuring The Cure singing Close To Me while standing close to me.
BR
Brekkie
Can anyone remember the outcome of Mel and Sue's Generation Game. Is was terrible and universally panned, but I've got a vague recollection of the BBC actually saying they were going to give it another go, but as I can't find any evidence either way online I might have dreamt it (just like UTV was rebranded to "itvni" one night this week Smile)
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Can anyone remember the outcome of Mel and Sue's Generation Game. Is was terrible and universally panned, but I've got a vague recollection of the BBC actually saying they were going to give it another go, but as I can't find any evidence either way online I might have dreamt it (just like UTV was rebranded to "itvni" one night this week Smile)

It was scrapped. They were going to do four episodes but ended up only doing two.
HC
Hatton Cross

Good Luck with that. But, I'd like to draw your attention to two minor points.

1 - 'Fresh Ideas'. A total vauge meaningless phrase. And even if someone came up with a 'fresh idea', whoever created it will have subconciously used part of an existing format.

Try it - pitch something you'd thought of that is totally new, fresh, orginal and has not been tried, used (in full or part) in the UK or anywhere in the world before. Difficult, isn't it?

2- Create a schedule to run a full 6 hours? And who, in this modern multi-channel fragmenent market and audience age is going to watch an 'appointment to view' schedule for a full 6 hours in one go? At most 2 hours and then bail out and cherry pick and timeshift the rest of it.
If you asked the question, the honest answer is less than 0.1% of the audience.

Although, as programme junctions are your thing - you'd probably like a schedule for 6 hours, with upto 6-8 idents, so you could come on here and bitch about how they've reused a ident 3 hours after it was last aired.
A former member
That made me chucky especial the last part. Laughing Even back in the 80s and 90s you had 6 hours but I doubt most people even then as you said view the whole schedule, but it give people a chance to pick n chose.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Whereas 6 hours is a bit over the top, they do seem one programme short pretty much all the time on a Saturday.

They can't decide if Pointless Celebrities is an early evening starter or the first main programme

Casualty was generally the next to last show, but is often pushed right back to be the last programme before the news.
GO
gottago

There was a suggestion from Kate Phillips that they’d be looking at it again but that was some time ago and I haven’t heard anything since so I think it’s rightly dead in the water.
JK
JKDerry
40 years a go, BBC One had settled into a pattern for many Saturday nights. Below is a look at Saturday 10th February 1979 on BBC One:

5.50pm - Jim'll Fix It

6.25pm - Doctor Who: "The Armageddon Factor"

6.50pm - Saturday Night at the Movies: "The Beasts are on the Streets"

8.25pm - The Two Ronnies

9.05pm - Starskey and Hutch

9.55pm - BBC News

10.05pm - Match of the Day

11.05pm until 12.05am - Parkinson

This was the normal pattern was a good chunk of the late 70s, especially Doctor Who, a Saturday movie, Two Ronnies, Match of the Day and always to end the night, Parkinson.
Last edited by JKDerry on 10 February 2019 12:32pm
VM
VMPhil
40 years a go, BBC One had settled into a pattern for many Saturday nights. Below is a look at Saturday 10th February 1979 on BBC One:

5.50pm - Kim'll Fix It

The little known North Korean spin-off with Kim Il-sung.
fusionlad, Lottie Long-Legs and AJ gave kudos

Newer posts