TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Seems that the new age profile weighting rule in Melfest has thrown up it's first odd result. The song with the least number of votes in total ended sixth, with a song which got more votes finishing seventh.

Can you explain that rule please.

Also backing up to the Aussie show but did they use state by state voting for their show. Can't find any clips of the voting online but know it was a jury/viewer points system.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Italy's San Remo Finale is chugging along this evening, which I have joined after a few minutes in Iceland ....

First Major cock-up backing track failure for singer 'Mahmood' restart allowed.

There are as usual TWENTY FOUR entrants.... If it finishes by midnight in the UK we'll be lucky.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Brekkie
Melfest ....

.... If I understood it fully I would.

I THINK it goes along the lines that the App records user approval (or otherwise), recorded by button presses, across age bands which the user of the App has to declare when registering. If this shows dissatisfaction in certain agebands the overall tele-vote is adjusted accordingly. Seems hit and miss. The apparent aim to get broad approval for the winner and to eliminate mass youth/internet campaigns, or similar, skewing the result.

EDIT - Just asked SVT's Gustav D. for an explanation. If forthcoming will post.

Australia...

Two votes declared only, very quickly, the jury votes and then the televote each with half the weighting. No state voting.
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 9 February 2019 10:33pm
BR
Brekkie
Thanks.

The age thing doesn't sound greeat at all - indeed arguably discriminatory.
JM
JamesM0984
Italy's San Remo Finale is chugging along this evening, which I have joined after a few minutes in Iceland ....

First Major cock-up backing track failure for singer 'Mahmood' restart allowed.

There are as usual TWENTY FOUR entrants.... If it finishes by midnight in the UK we'll be lucky.

I can't get into SanRemo at all. I think half the issue is the songs are in Italian so it makes it harder to watch, along with the general length and chaos of the thing.
DV
DVB Cornwall
In almost two hours since I joined we are now at song 17 of 24 of San Remo. The Ad breaks are many and plenty, with additional trailers interspersed .... Ah well post midnight it is then. We have a Superfinal with three reprises to go after the 24th concludes too.
TV
TVArchive Founding member
...and Margaret eliminated. That is a shocker!

I felt on the night that Malou and Margaret's songs were appealing to virtually the same market. However the result for Margaret was damning, I don't expect to see her at Melfest again despite her fresh appeal.
NG
noggin Founding member
New Melodifestivalen voting splits the app voting into 7 (I think) age bands with the phone voting as an 8th group.

All 8 groups have equal weighting going forward to the end result. So even if you got 100x as many votes from teenagers than all the other songs, if nobody else in the other age groups votes for you, you will come last...
TI
tightrope78

I felt on the night that Malou and Margaret's songs were appealing to virtually the same market. However the result for Margaret was damning, I don't expect to see her at Melfest again despite her fresh appeal.

Margaret could have won the whole Eurovision Song Contest with that song. The Swedes just didn’t warm to her. It was as if she didn’t think much of Sweden either, no attempt to learn the language.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Gustav Dahlander has responded ...

Use Google Translate on this article ....

https://blogg.svt.se/melodifestivalen-expertbloggen/h%C3%A4r-%C3%A4r-r%C3%B6stnings%C3%A4ndringen-som-kan-avg%C3%B6ra-melodifestivalen-2019/

The detail is therein.
JM
JamesM0984
In almost two hours since I joined we are now at song 17 of 24 of San Remo. The Ad breaks are many and plenty, with additional trailers interspersed .... Ah well post midnight it is then. We have a Superfinal with three reprises to go after the 24th concludes too.

You're a braver man than I Chris!

Margaret could have won the whole Eurovision Song Contest with that song. The Swedes just didn’t warm to her. It was as if she didn’t think much of Sweden either, no attempt to learn the language.

If she had done her VT in Polish I'd get that but given how well English is spoken in Sweden would that really be a reason to reject her?

I did feel SVT deramped her a bit in the Green Room by not conducting an interview in English and instead the host did a piece to camera in Swedish, giving her a cue to laugh in English - again, something the majority of viewers would have gotten.

I go on holiday to Marbella a lot as the old man is semi retired out there and there's always Swedes out there, who can speak English better than the Brits do, frankly. Indeed, I was with two Swedes and two Russians on a night out and the Swedes and Russians conversed with each other in word perfect English.
JM
JamesM0984
Gustav Dahlander has responded ...

Use Google Translate on this article ....

https://blogg.svt.se/melodifestivalen-expertbloggen/h%C3%A4r-%C3%A4r-r%C3%B6stnings%C3%A4ndringen-som-kan-avg%C3%B6ra-melodifestivalen-2019/

The detail is therein.

I've always meant to ask Chris if you speak Swedish? Reason I ask is because I know you often use SVT Play to watch the actual Eurovision (over and above the naked feed on YouTube which I'd usually use to avoid the BBC commentary) so was curious!

Newer posts