TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
SBS Australia (Tomorrow AM) -
The stream will be available from SBS on Facebook and Twitter at 9:30AM GMT.
:-(
A former member
Sweet Lies was my favourite but they did with it what we *always* do with our Eurovision songs - made it too stop-start and clunky. The chorus was fantastic, but everything else was underwhelming, and I’m sure there’s a technical term for it but I hated how it practically came to a stop after each chorus for a second or two.

That said I understand why Bigger Than Us won, and Rylan was spot on with his comments about it appealing to the juries. They really need to think about the production now - again a mistake we always make. What looks good on that small stage looks lost on the big arena stage.

Genuinely can’t call if it’s going to do well or badly. Could do something like Germany’s did last year.
JM
JamesM0984
Only just got out a theatre show so not watched but it sounds like I didn't miss much. According to Bookface many missed LX/Sound/Camera/Script cues. We must be about the only National Final that doesn't use CuePilot these days. It shows.

But let's be honest, not winning is a blessing - like I said do we really want a BBC production, they've become a Poundland SVT in all aspects of Eurovision. Or is that unfair on Poundland?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Genuinely can’t call if it’s going to do well or badly .

Called it.
AL
alexhb01
All the polls and ratings I’ve seen so far from non-brits are showing that Michael Rice won’t do too badly with an average placing of 2 or 3/5. While this isn’t showing much, given there’s only five songs selected, I’m actually seeing positive comments on our selection. I don’t see us doing worse than last year, even with all the sympathy points we got. The song has been revamped after the selection show the past couple of years so hopefully that makes the song better.
OR
orange
It’s not bad , but it ain’t great either. All I’m saying is don’t get your hopes up, whilst anything is possible this song is very very easy to overshadow and unless this year shapes up to be **** quality consistently we probabaly won’t do amazing because it really is nothing special.
UK
UKnews
According to Bookface many missed LX/Sound/Camera/Script cues. We must be about the only National Final that doesn't use CuePilot these days. It shows.

The same way it shows when it’s used to produced some of the highest rating shows in the country and has lead to production teams being sought to work on those shows in other countries or on commercially released concerts for some of the biggest acts in the world. Perhaps try watching the programme yourself before you’d write off an entire way of producing live music television. Most of the mistakes I spotted were between acts.

Quote:

But let's be honest, not winning is a blessing - like I said do we really want a BBC production, they've become a Poundland SVT in all aspects of Eurovision. Or is that unfair on Poundland?

I realise that nothing the BBC does with Eurovision will ever be good enough for you - or a couple of other posters here - but the reality is that there is limited interest amongst the viewing public outside of the final. Spending time here or on Eurovision fan forums / following the hardcore fans on Twitter isn’t going to give a realistic perspective of the interest amongst the general viewing public.

I wasn’t planning to see the show but did end up watching. I enjoyed it, laughed at some of the jokes, thought it moved along quite nicely, yes there were a few mistakes (nicely covered by the presenters). Not too sure on the ‘one song two versions’ format but it was probably worth a go. I felt it was produced at about the right level for the likely audience. Perhaps it would have benefited from a bigger venue but for whatever reason that was what they had and they made it work pretty well.

When the BBC didn’t have a public selection it was criticised. When they do put effort into one they get pillioried because it isn’t Melodifestivalen. Or because the BBC can’t fundamentally alter the British music industry and force the highest profile acts / songwriters to produce songs to enter. It’s also apparently the BBCs fault because the British public don’t take the competition ‘seriously’ enough. Don’t think they can ever win.
JM
JamesM0984
I'm sorry I don't accept that. I pay the BBC's wages. I feel underserved by my investment and want answers. Why can we not copy the Swedish national final as a one night format (which SVT ran with until fairly recently) - why do we need to have an under capacity studio, what's wrong with the MEN Arena? They hire out an arena for SPOTY!

If the BBC can't do a British Melodifestivalen they're doing it wrong. They want a license fee increase? I would start by hiring Christer Bjorkman and Edward Af Silen on a consultancy basis.

I know people say "let ITV take over!" but the truth is, we don't pay for ITV. They can do what they want.
RO
roo
no you're right we should hold the bbc's funding hostage over the eurovision selection show
JM
JamesM0984
roo posted:
no you're right we should hold the bbc's funding hostage over the eurovision selection show

I never said that. But if you're going to enter you have to at least pretend you're in it to win it.

Where we can all agree on is this: not having a show like Top Of The Pops doesn't help us. The BBC don't have a team who are doing music TV week in, week out, on a shoestring budget (and I've no doubt the bare minimum has been spent on EYD this year) and know how to make the television picture look epic despite those limitations. The BBC just don't have the experience of music television they had 30-40 years ago. They don't have experts like Stewart Morris or Michael Hurll (Hurll having done both TOTP and two Eurovisions) anymore that can do this with their eyes shut.
Last edited by JamesM0984 on 9 February 2019 3:26am - 3 times in total
JM
JamesM0984
Worth noting that Edward was credited as a writer, and certainly his humour was evident on the script. Have to say the interval medley was good, and it's unfair to compare that to the similar concept done in Gothenburg last week by the same writer, which only hard-core fans will have watched, but I just felt the look and feel of the show came across as a bit cheap. The studio felt tiny!
TT
ttt
roo posted:

I never said that. But if you're going to enter you have to at least pretend you're in it to win it.

Where we can all agree on is this: not having a show like Top Of The Pops doesn't help us. The BBC don't have a team who are doing music TV week in, week out, on a shoestring budget (and I've no doubt the bare minimum has been spent on EYD this year) and know how to make the television picture look epic despite those limitations. The BBC just don't have the experience of music television they had 30-40 years ago. They don't have experts like Stewart Morris or Michael Hurll (Hurll having done both TOTP and two Eurovisions) anymore that can do this with their eyes shut.

If that's what's needed then all the small countries might as well give it up as a bad job.

Except several small countries have done rather well of late...

Newer posts