Media Websites

TV Home - Automated recordings of BBC idents

(September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Asa posted:
Oh and BBC Four's still all over the place.

Just out of interest I wonder if it might be worth checking what CBeebies is doing flag wise? It presumably still shares its playout with BBC Four so if the flag issues are with the equipment at "their" end, the same should happen on CBeebies. In theory. I'm presuming they still share equipment and there isn't a physical change to other hardware after CBeebies goes off the air.
CR
Critique
Asa posted:
Virgin curiously schedules BBC Weather as a separate programme at 10:42 but this never shows up on Freeview, I'm surprised why there would be a difference. But then I'm also not sure where they get some of their awful programme thumbnails from!

IIRC, the Virgin EPG used to (and may still do) list every programme airing on BBC One overnight after they've handed over to the News Channel too, whereas even the BBC's own website lists 'Joins BBC News...'!
GE
thegeek Founding member
Asa posted:
Not 100% sure on that one. I know they don't appear in the listings so maybe the software needs a programme to do the flag detection for.

They do appear in bbc.co.uk/programmes - do they not make it as far as your EPG provider? (I really need to dig out my RPi and have another play with TVHeadend...)
Asa posted:
Oh and BBC Four's still all over the place.

Blimey. It is a known issue in W12, but I'm surprised it's taking this long to fix.

9 days later

AS
Asa Admin
Blimey. It is a known issue in W12, but I'm surprised it's taking this long to fix.

Not only have they not fixed it, they've let it spread to BBC Two. So that's now screwed.

"This is being investigated as a matter of priority and we are working with the appropriate teams to try and resolve the issue" ...but not before allowing it to affect another channel.
OV
Orry Verducci
Just out of interest I wonder if it might be worth checking what CBeebies is doing flag wise? It presumably still shares its playout with BBC Four so if the flag issues are with the equipment at "their" end, the same should happen on CBeebies. In theory. I'm presuming they still share equipment and there isn't a physical change to other hardware after CBeebies goes off the air.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the playout for CBeebies and BBC Four are no longer shared. The BBC channels moved to a new transmission suite last year, built on a more modern infrastructure including IP video, and I believe they took that opportunity to split the playout for all the services.

There's been a number of special occasions over the last few years (i.e Olympic games) where the broadcast hours for the kids channels and BBC Four (and Three before it ceased broadcasting) have overlapped, which caused a few headaches given that they normally shared playout. So I believe they decided to run them all separate to avoid any potential future issues, especially given how easy it is to setup multiple services with modern playout solutions.
JM
JamesM0984
Aren't PPBs host broadcasted by, say, the BBC - and ITV or vice-versa has to opt in to a dirty feed of the rival network to play it?
SW
Steve Williams
Aren't PPBs host broadcasted by, say, the BBC - and ITV or vice-versa has to opt in to a dirty feed of the rival network to play it?

When they were all shown at the same time they were - but certainly not now they're shown at different times.
:-(
A former member
What has happened to BBC 2 since Sunday?
RO
rob Founding member
What has happened to BBC 2 since Sunday?

A simple look at the TV Home homepage will tell you...
:-(
A former member
It surprising how often people can miss big flashy notices. Laughing
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
It surprising how often people can miss big flashy notices. Laughing

Shall we crowdfund you a trip to Specsavers? Wink

9 days later

BU
buster
My TOTP recording started on time tonight (well, a few seconds into the titles, which is as close as I get when that BBC Music sting is there). Have they finally solved the issue - or did it start bang on 1930??

Newer posts