« Topics
ttt
Has there been a genuine classic itv sitcom since the 1980s? Even then they were weak compared to the competition.
nwtv20038,378 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
Has there been a genuine classic itv sitcom since the 1980s? Even then they were weak compared to the competition.

Urm, Mr Bean? That dominated the 1990’s. I would also say the first three series of Benidorm are also some of the best ITV had produced in a very long time, however the latter was a show that should have ended years earlier.
steve
steviegTVreturns
marshmallow and Spencer For Hire gave kudos
Brekkie31,827 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Recently warned
HTV Wales Wales Today
The more successful sitcoms over the years seem to have followed the Fawlty Towers model, ie capping a series at six episodes and usually (with exceptions) running for two series.

Bad Move is as successful as Fawlty Towers then. Laughing

Yes, the Goodnight Sweetheart revival looked like it had promise... then they went for Porridge instead. Even though it was probably the worst recieved of the four. But clearly the cheapest to make.

I thought ITV might have swept in on that considering their relationship with the creators. The premise of the revival was very good and certainly had legs for a series.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Si-Co2,162 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
The golden age of sitcoms does seem to be well and truly over, though. I appreciate that comedy has moved on since the 70s and 80s, and sitcoms featuring the antics and mishaps of a suburban “middle-class” straight white middle-aged couple such as Terry and June, George and Mildred, the Fields (Fresh Fields) or the Fairchilds (Executive Stress) seemingly aren’t going to put bums on seats these days. I don’t really consider the likes of Benidorm to be a sitcom in the traditional sense, due to the abundance of characters, but it was popular. The 90s/00s style of sitcoms like My Family, Outnumbred, Goodnight Sweetheart, the IT Crowd would still work, if the writers came up with something original and contemporary. Personally, I find myself delving into the video vaults when I need a good laugh.
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
Inspector Sands13,766 posts since 25 Aug 2004

Urm, Mr Bean? That dominated the 1990’s. I would also say the first three series of Benidorm are also some of the best ITV had produced in a very long time, however the latter was a show that should have ended years earlier.

It hardly 'dominated', it was only ever put out as occasional specials, it never had a series of 6 like a traditional sitcom.

Men Behaving Badly?
Does Cold Feet count?
Neil Jones5,441 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
Has there been a genuine classic itv sitcom since the 1980s?

The Upper Hand was hugely successful throughout most of the 90s.

Even though it was near enough a transplant of its American source show, Who's The Boss, using pretty much the same scripts IIRC in the early years. Then it went off in a totally unique direction in Upper Hand's final series, primarily because ITV wanted another series, even though the main hook had been swallowed at the end of the previous series when the two main leads eventually married, so the final series of married life felt a bit disjointed and tacked on.
BFGArmy353 posts since 15 Jan 2018
London London
The Corrie comment did make me laugh - at the moment on Corrie the 'comedy' is about as funny as stubbing your toe what with a grown man threatening to beat a child with a shovel.
Last edited by BFGArmy on 6 February 2019 10:34am