TV Home Forum

Sky TV Network 30th Anniversary

On 5th Feb 1989 sky become fully uk forced. (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
On this very day 30 years ago sky network was launched:

* Sky Channel, later renamed Sky One;
* Eurosport, a joint-venture between the European Broadcast Union and News International;
* Sky Movies, a fee-based all-film channel;
* Sky News, a 24-hour news channel.

I believe you were also able to pick up a few other channels like The children's channel, MTV and Landscape.

It was an ambitious plan , cost over £100million to start with all because Murdoch never got the IBA approved contract which of course went to BSB.

The 5th channel, Disney never got of the table and we had to wait another 6 years. The Sky channel was overhauled to be more UK focused, which I have to say might have been a bad idea to start with, since over 8million across the EU watched the channel, but its fate was sealed On 31 July 1989, when it was was renamed Sky One and closed in most European countries.
ToasterMan, roger delacroix and WW Update gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
On this very day 30 years ago sky network was launched:

* Sky Channel, later renamed Sky One;
* Eurosport, a joint-venture between the European Broadcast Union and News International;
* Sky Movies, a fee-based all-film channel;
* Sky News, a 24-hour news channel.

Sky Movies (and their other channels) didn't have a subscription at launch, they were all free to air.

Those with the early set top boxes had to either buy new ones or buy adaptors when they did. Sky Movies went subscription in 1990,

Quote:

I believe you were also able to pick up a few other channels like The children's channel, MTV and Landscape.

No Landscape then, was it ever on satellite?

There was Lifestyle and Screensport as well as the German, Scandinavian and Dutch channels also on Astra

Quote:
The Sky channel was overhauled to be more UK focused, which I have to say might have been a bad idea to start with, since over 8million across the EU watched the channel, but its fate was sealed On 31 July 1989, when it was was renamed Sky One and closed in most European countries.

Not sure why you think it was a bad idea , there might have been 8 million people watching but the problem with pan-european channels is that they don't work in terms of advertising. There aren't many companies that can or want to put out the same advert out across Europe. Making it UK centric not only helps with ad sales but also makes programming easier and when subscription started years later it made that a lot easier too
RD
roger delacroix
Happy 30th birthday Sky News, Sky Cinema and Sky One!
RD
roger delacroix
and Happy 30th Birthday to Eurosport of course
:-(
A former member
Happy 30th birthday and Sky One!

Nope, Sky one never come about until July 1989 and even than It was called Sky Channel which started in Jan 84 and even then it history goes back to April 1982 Wink
RD
roger delacroix
Happy 30th birthday and Sky One!

Nope, Sky one never come about until July 1989 and even than It was called Sky Channel which started in Jan 84 and even then it history goes back to April 1982 Wink

Oh I'm so sorry my mistake Thanks for correcting me though really appreciated
PE
peterh
Happy birthday sky news and any other bit of sky that has a birthday today
JA
JAS84
Yeah, it's only Sky News, Sky Cinema, and Eurosport that can claim today as a birthday.

And for the record, the channels on Astra 1A at the time were Screensport, RTL Plus, TV3 Sweden, Eurosport, Lifestyle, The Children's Channel, JSTV, Sat.1, TV1000, Sky Channel, Eurosport, 3sat, FilmNet, Sky News, RTL-V, Pro 7, MTV, and Sky Movies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_1A

Landscape was never on satellite as a channel. It was a block on Sky Channel, which then moved to Channel 4. It launched as a cable TV channel in 1991.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Landscape_Channel
RD
roger delacroix
Interesting info thanks
RU
russty_russ
Let's not forget the rebranding of Sky One to Sky Onc as well.
RD
roger delacroix

Oh yeah that one
JA
james-2001

Onc, Tuo and Thrcc
roger delacroix and Stuart gave kudos

Newer posts