TV Home Forum

Holly and Stephen's Saturday Showdown

...or as I like to call it, 'Holly and Stephen in da Flat'! (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Check out the full colour, constantly animating CiTV/MoM DOG on this episode… which apparently freezes during The Angry Beavers and then doesn’t survive past the first ad break!

VM
VMPhil
The theme is from the band 'Noise next door', who performed in one of the early episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEumh6yZ4_g

They may have recorded it for the re-launch in 2004 but it's not them pre-relaunch.

Yeah, it's really interesting looking back at those old episodes. Episode 1, as you say, is an American voice and really muffled singing 'Ministry Mayhem'. You then get ep 2 with the clearer vocal. Then ep 5 is an English voice but still singing 'Ministry Mayhem' and Ep 6 is the 'Ministry OF Mayhem' edit. It certainly took them a while to get it right!

In this episode they have yet another edit, the first part with the American voice and then the second part the English voice ‘Ministry OF Mayhem’ edit.

https://youtu.be/Jq4G7bibvBY
DJ
DJ Dave
Wouldn't get away with this anymore
RIP Mr Lee aka Vincent Wong.
:-(
A former member
Why did there change from Stephen to holly? half way during 2005?
JA
james-2001
Check out the full colour, constantly animating CiTV/MoM DOG on this episode… which apparently freezes during The Angry Beavers and then doesn’t survive past the first ad break!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmMsfc83Vc

It was pretty awful and distracting, not suprising it didn't last 5 minutes- literally!

That clip's reminded me of that god awful Tutenstein cartoon too, so awful even the UK version of Discovery Kids didn't show it even though it was one of their shows. Seemed to fit in with the "info-tainment" aspect they seemed to be taking on at first though.

For whatever reason they didn't take on Sabrina from where SM:TV left off, and we had to wait several months until they showed the rest of the final season. Though it was so dire it probably didn't really matter if they didn't show it at all.
TT
ThatTVNerd

Here is an example of how less energy there was in Saturday Showdown compared to MOM - and quite an obscure line-up of guests it has in this clip.
RU
russty_russ
Who'd have thought 15 years later that 2 of those 3 presenters would be all over ITV? Or at least that's how it feels.

Wait... 15 years... really?

But there's a bigger problem here, children's TV was sometimes seen as a training ground for "grown up" prime time TV but as that's non existent on ITV, where is the next gen of presenters going to come from when the same pool of about 5 presenters used for all their big shows either retire or fall into bad news.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Well many of that pool didn't start out on CITV even now, so I don't think it will be a problem, and its hardly a way to run a business.

Maybe they should have kept Woolworths open as those saturday jobs in store were a way many kids got into employment.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Well many of that pool didn't start out on CITV even now, so I don't think it will be a problem, and its hardly a way to run a business.

Maybe they should have kept Woolworths open as those saturday jobs in store were a way many kids got into employment.

It's a perfectly decent way to run a business. A relatively low cost operation which nurtures new talent (on and off camera) that then go on to generate many millions in revenue in a more high profile part of the schedule.

There's also an argument for the benefits on society of keeping a business like Woolworths open, but that's not for here.
AN
Andrew Founding member
You could just let someone else worry about that though and employ them when they've already cut their teeth, whether that is a digital channel, radio, the stand up comedy circuit, CBBC...

Take Iain Stirling as a recent example.
Last edited by Andrew on 5 February 2019 10:06pm - 2 times in total
RU
russty_russ

I never said it was compulsory. Just saying it could be seen as a good training ground which could ultimately help them in the future.
Brekkie and Whataday gave kudos
CB
ChipperBird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmMsfc83Vc

Am I mistaken or didn't they briefly try an animated DOG during SM:TV as well? (the sunburst logo)

Also gotta love it when Bands come onto a kids show, but don't even try to get into the spirit of things. The guest band of the week just mills around in the background trying to look cool and not like they plan to have any of this kids show melarkey

Newer posts