TV Home Forum

Netflix refreshes its ident

5 years since the original (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Spotted this on Twitter, the jingle is being kept.

Original for reference...
Last edited by dbl on 4 February 2019 6:52am
WH
what
it wasn’t broken. why are they trying to fix it?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Makes you wonder why the ident is included in the edit of each video. Why don't they have it as a separate file?
SP
Spencer
what posted:

Using that logic, no company would ever update their branding, and nobody would ever strive to improve anything that already functioned satisfactorily.
CN
CNash
Makes you wonder why the ident is included in the edit of each video. Why don't they have it as a separate file?

When it comes to big streaming video providers that have client applications on a myriad of different devices (like mobile phones, web browsers, games consoles, set top boxes and a host of largely-bespoke smart TV platforms) the more that can be done server-side the better. Baking the ident into the main content means that the client just has to play one video file from start to finish, and not have to include any logic to play one video file and then another with no latency, or to "stitch" video files together so it looks like you're watching one continuous stream.

Sure, it's technically possible to do those things client-side, but reliability (and consistency of user experience) is key and Netflix has a client app on some very old (relatively speaking) devices that are underpowered compared to top-of-the-range smart TVs etc.; getting complex client-side behaviours to work reliably and consistently across a wide range of different-spec devices is difficult . So again: the less the client has to do, the better.
Jeffmister, KELGE and scottishtv gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
what posted:

Using that logic, no company would ever update their branding, and nobody would ever strive to improve anything that already functioned satisfactorily.

Probably still be seeing the Bat Wings on BBC One as well to boot.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I suspect I won't be alone in preferring the bat wings to Oneness
Orry Verducci, Brekkie and AlexEdohHD13 gave kudos
JO
Joe
I suspect I won't be alone in preferring the bat wings to Oneness

Every. Single. Thread.
SQ
sqwidge1978
The ident took 2 years to develop https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/netflix-new-logo-animation-original-shows-movies-a8759661.html
RK
Rkolsen
Now, it reminds me as a rip off of HBO presentation. HBO has show logos/imagery of all their shows in a grid pattern with then cutting to a blurred screen with the show that you’re watching image and HBO Original Series. They couldn’t do that here so they decided to stack each show’s imagery- and I imagine it will be custom for each series.

Also if they are doing show imagery for each ident then it would take a long time to create one for each series and then edit each episode.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 3 February 2019 6:22am
TO
tomo359
Sorry but it's not even remotely similar to the HBO intro. And it hasn't mentioned anywhere that each ident will be custom for each series.
BR
Brekkie

Do you think the designer forgot about it and drew something up on day 730?

Newer posts