The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
Dreadful quality interview shown on Sunday Politics South West today using FaceTime.

It was from Truro, the home of BBC Radio Cornwall, and seemed to be using the standard scenic backdrop seen on news correspondent inserts, yet the picture/audio quality was dreadful. I wonder if they were having technical problems which prevented the usual DTL method of communication.

Even the FaceTime slug and Truro location indicator were of startlingly different qualities. Shocked
http://i65.tinypic.com/ymbsh.jpg
MA
Markymark
Dreadful quality interview shown on Sunday Politics South West today using FaceTime.

It was from Truro, the home of BBC Radio Cornwall, and seemed to be using the standard scenic backdrop seen on news correspondent inserts, yet the picture/audio quality was dreadful. I wonder if they were having technical problems which prevented the usual DTL method of communication.

Even the FaceTime slug and Truro location indicator were of startlingly different qualities. Shocked
http://i65.tinypic.com/ymbsh.jpg

Were they using the name 'FaceTime' colloquially ? Because I'm not aware iphones of ipads have video and audio inputs, or does Apple have something that runs on Macs ?
NG
noggin Founding member

Were they using the name 'FaceTime' colloquially ? Because I'm not aware iphones of ipads have video and audio inputs, or does Apple have something that runs on Macs ?

FaceTime is a core MacOS app that is installed as standard in most modern MacOS releases. You can also use HDMI outputs from iPhones and iPads using the Lightning to HDMI adaptor (I think), and I think you can also AirPlay screen mirror to an Apple TV with an HDMI output. (Most News studios have Apple TVs as a neat way of getting iPhones and iPads on-air without having to use a cable)
MA
Markymark

FaceTime is a core MacOS app that is installed as standard in most modern MacOS releases. You can also use HDMI outputs from iPhones and iPads using the Lightning to HDMI adaptor (I think), and I think you can also AirPlay screen mirror to an Apple TV with an HDMI output. (Most News studios have Apple TVs as a neat way of getting iPhones and iPads on-air without having to use a cable)

So I see, I should have Googled first. Doh !

https://www.imore.com/how-set-and-start-using-facetime-macos

68 days later

HT
HTV Best
Tonight, Points West's main female presenter, Alex Lovell, is the news.

BBC News - BBC presenter Alex Lovell's rape-threat stalker jailed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46746243
RD
RDJ
Points West solely anchored by David Garmston during the first half of tonights programme and Alex bravely continuing on with the rest of the show.

Takes a lot of courage to continue as normal on a day when justice was found for her after six years of harassment.
japitts and Lou Scannon gave kudos
LS
Lou Scannon
Tonight, Points West's main female presenter, Alex Lovell, is the news.

BBC News - BBC presenter Alex Lovell's rape-threat stalker jailed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46746243

This was even briefly mentioned in tonight's ITV News West Country.

David Garmston presented the first 10 minutes or so of tonight's BBC Points West solo, whilst various items about Alex's ordeal and the issue of stalking in general were introduced. Alex herself featured in both of the main pre-recorded packages.

She then joined David to co-present the day's other news from about 18:40 onwards. Given how she's continued her on-screen duties throughout her 5-year ordeal, and even tonight, shows what a strong person she is.

At the close of the programme, she thanked viewers for their outpouring of warm and supportive messages received via the programme's social media outlets and email.

The "and finally" item on both ITV News West Country and BBC Points West tonight was about a memorial service for a recently deceased swan known as "Angry Bob" at a country house estate near Taunton!
japitts, London Lite and Markymark gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
It says something about the professionalism of Alex Lovell that she produced a VT about stalking in general as part of her being the main story.

I have nothing but respect for her professionalism in helping viewers who may be affected.

28 days later

JT
JamesTV
Kylie Pentelow is leaving ITV News West Country for a while to become a main presenter on ITV News Wales. Didn't see this coming, and it wasn't mentioned on screen on tonight's 'West' variant of the programme, not sure whether it was mentioned on 'East'?

RD
RDJ
Interesting beings Wales is single headed and they have an abundance of main presenters, albeit mostly male. Presumably Andrea Byrne has either taken some time off again or left altogether.

I'm guessing it's intended as temporary hence there being no mention tonight, but it does seem from Kylie's tweet it may be for a fair while.
ST
South Today
RDJ posted:
Interesting beings Wales is single headed and they have an abundance of main presenters, albeit mostly male. Presumably Andrea Byrne has either taken some time off again or left altogether.

I'm guessing it's intended as temporary hence there being no mention tonight, but it does seem from Kylie's tweet it may be for a fair while.

Andrea Byrne is going on maternity leave.
LL
London Lite Founding member
ITV Wales like English anchors don't they? First Byrne and now Pentelow. Will be sorry to see Kylie leave West Country though.

So who is likely to become the main female lead on West Country? Ellie Barker must be a favourite, unless they parachute in another presenter from another part of the country.

Newer posts