TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Danny Dyer on announcer duty introducing The FA Cup fourth round match between Arsenal and Man Utd.

I'm guessing Danny Dyer will be 2019's TV Personality That Appears Everywhere.
JB
JasonB
Danny Dyer on announcer duty introducing The FA Cup fourth round match between Arsenal and Man Utd.

I'm guessing Danny Dyer will be 2019's TV Personality That Appears Everywhere.

Expect him to replace Schofie in those WeBuyAnyCar adverts and BT adverts this year.
:-(
A former member
SO someone has muck up at Glasgow... There is a news update coming but alas, there cut in to early and it resulted it going into Holby city. Its now cut out and back to the promos...
A former member
Turns out there is No news update, so what is going on with the network?
BR
Brekkie
Was a news update on network.
AS
Asa Admin
SO someone has muck up at Glasgow... There is a news update coming but alas, there cut in to early and it resulted it going into Holby city. Its now cut out and back to the promos...

Just watched that - funny timing as they do the ident "we'll hand you to Clive Myrie for a news update" then cut to the character of Ric Griffin on Holby, up on a platform holding a megaphone condemning the state of the NHS! There for a good minute before going back to trailers.
MM
MMcG198
Asa posted:
Just watched that - funny timing as they do the ident "we'll hand you to Clive Myrie for a news update" then cut to the character of Ric Griffin on Holby, up on a platform holding a megaphone condemning the state of the NHS! There for a good minute before going back to trailers.

Here's how things unfolded on BBC One Scotland:

https://thetvroom.com/9383/blog/blooper-bbc-one-scotland-misses-9pm-news-report/
Last edited by MMcG198 on 30 January 2019 8:43pm
Si-Co and paul_hadley gave kudos
A former member
So whos to blame? This is primary school handovers..
HA
harshy Founding member
Not sure but its hard to see the bbc's flagship channel with these crap oneness idents and they are still at it, its a joke.
LI
Lieuwe
Maybe, I do have an interesting question for you all. In many countries (I live in the Netherlands) they have no 'announcing idents', which I find very unfortunate. They only have short idents of at most 3-6 seconds (VRT Belgium, NPO Netherlands, ARD / ZDF Germany, DR Denmark).

How would you like it if the BBC abolishes 'announcing idents'? Instead, you get a short ident.
A former member
Itv used to be like that no ident just straight into the next programme.
VM
VMPhil
Maybe, I do have an interesting question for you all. In many countries (I live in the Netherlands) they have no 'announcing idents', which I find very unfortunate. They only have short idents of at most 3-6 seconds (VRT Belgium, NPO Netherlands, ARD / ZDF Germany, DR Denmark).

How would you like it if the BBC abolishes 'announcing idents'? Instead, you get a short ident.

I don't know if our style of TV presentation is unique to the UK but it's certainly a lot different compared to most countries, I imagine because of the influence that the BBC's existing style had on commercial television when it launched here, compared to if we had started with commercial TV only. It would be a great shame if it was lost, and I think it's the reason why we have TV Forum in the first place.

The increased use of programme sponsorships has rather done away with the ability for commercial channels to do extremely BBC influenced continuity, sadly. You don't really see idents fading into the programme on those channels now, like in this example:

Newer posts