TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
_Tom_ posted:
AxG posted:
So we were talking about inconsistencies a week or so ago, and this gem pops up.

Something like this also happened on Channel 4 a couple weeks back with Calibri mistakenly used.

Still miles ahead of anything over on One. Laughing
CY
cylon6
_Tom_ posted:
AxG posted:
So we were talking about inconsistencies a week or so ago, and this gem pops up.

Something like this also happened on Channel 4 a couple weeks back with Calibri mistakenly used.

Still miles ahead of anything over on One. Laughing

What isn't? Laughing
DE
denton
JAS84 posted:
The fonts used are supposed to be two variants of Reith. This example isn't.

That's the presumption - we know from previous experience people here care far more about BBC branding guidelines than anyone at the BBC.

Yes, as I said above, how do we know what the branding guidelines say?

To sum them up: The programme name should be in Reith Sans (animating from Reith Serif, unless the animated version is impractical due to time or technical constraints), the day/time TX info should be in Reith Serif. The guidelines do not allow for other fonts to be used. The short duration trail endboard is to only be used on 10 second trails, all other trail durations should use the full length endboards and opening animation.
IS
Inspector Sands
That font animation is an odd idea, looks like a mistake. Wonder what the idea is

I can't say I mind other fonts though, it's a good way of bringing some of the character of the programme to the trail
KE
kernow
As a tribute to Diana Athill, who passed away last week, BBC 2 is repeating an episode of Imagine from 2010 which she featured in this evening.

This seems like a slightly odd scheduling decision, as it will be shown at the same time as a new episode of Imagine on BBC 1.
SW
Steve Williams
This seems like a slightly odd scheduling decision, as it will be shown at the same time as a new episode of Imagine on BBC 1.

....which is why it's now been rescheduled to tomorrow.
SC
Si-Co
I’m not sure why, but BBC Two’s online schedule shows a mid-afternoon “closedown” all weekday afternoons next week (4-8 February).

They’ve just started reruns of A Place to Call Home Season 5 in the 3pm slot this week, which I expect will continue next week (there are 12 episodes). Yet there’s no mention of anything scheduled at 3pm online:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl97/2019/02/04
HA
harshy Founding member
That font animation is an odd idea, looks like a mistake. Wonder what the idea is

I can't say I mind other fonts though, it's a good way of bringing some of the character of the programme to the trail

The font animation is a good idea and if they wanted to use a custom font then use a programme specific endboard, but other then that they should be using it as designed.
KE
kernow
Si-Co posted:
I’m not sure why, but BBC Two’s online schedule shows a mid-afternoon “closedown” all weekday afternoons next week (4-8 February).

They’ve just started reruns of A Place to Call Home Season 5 in the 3pm slot this week, which I expect will continue next week (there are 12 episodes). Yet there’s no mention of anything scheduled at 3pm online:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl97/2019/02/04

There does seem to be something wrong with the BBC Two schedule over the next week or so.

On Digiguide, "This is BBC Two" is scheduled in all nations on Saturday at 8pm, 9pm and 10:45pm, and again on Sunday at 01:15am and 02:50am (the 02:50am scheduling is probably the only correct one).

Then on Monday, a Picture of Britain (a 1 hour programme) is scheduled from 2pm to 3:55pm; and on Tuesday,
Britain and the Sea (another 1 hour programme) is scheduled from 2pm to 4pm.
DV
dvboy
There are definitely some issues from Saturday onwards, on Digiguide and there were issues on the EPG reported in the BBC Scotland thread a couple of days ago.

I've raised a listings issue on Digiguide at least. The first gap is at 9:00am on Saturday.
DV
dvboy
Update: to quote someone at Digiguide

Quote:
BBC have changed listings provider but have entered my email address incorrectly and we aren't receiving schedules. Communication via email only and up to 48 hours response. As soon as this issue is ironed out we'll have it sorted. Stupidly they never told us until after it was actioned either. Double annoying.
:-(
A former member
Have there never heard of the Radio times?

Newer posts