The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
It's moments like this that make Weekend Sunrise better than the Mon-Thurs editions.

AA
Aaron_2015
The standard weekday editions of Sunrise are beyond dull, Sky really need to find a way of shaking up the format without simply copying their rivals.

I’m surprised they haven’t attempted to improve the green screen extension, it still looks very poor. ITV News have managed to create a fairly realistic backdrop, whereas Sky News have a dodgy 2009 video game style backdrop.
JK
JKDerry
The standard weekday editions of Sunrise are beyond dull, Sky really need to find a way of shaking up the format without simply copying their rivals.

I’m surprised they haven’t attempted to improve the green screen extension, it still looks very poor. ITV News have managed to create a fairly realistic backdrop, whereas Sky News have a dodgy 2009 video game style backdrop.

Why did Sky News abandon the news room backdrop to their presentation? I used to like having the news desk in the heart of the Sky News Centre.
FA
fanoftv
It’s a shame that they can’t create a simple set up at the edge of the newsroom, though I imagine the 1989-2005 newsroom was designed with TV in mind.
AL
alexjac0788

Why did Sky News abandon the news room backdrop to their presentation? I used to like having the news desk in the heart of the Sky News Centre.

That's something we'd all like to know the answer to! I like the Sarah-Jane and Niall partnership, but feel that the studio lets the show down. There's such a blandness to studio 6, and that goes against absolutely everything Sky News once was - a pioneer in presentation! As others have said, it's a regional news setup on a national, rolling channel!

I'm sure putting Sunrise back into the glass box would improve things (slightly). Even then, there's just not the same amount of versatility that Sky News Centre had.

Watching Kay's show really makes me think how much they miss a soft set.
TTRWE and London Lite gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member

The glass box desk which was lowered slightly for the Press Preview helped give that programme some form of informality, yet it's the same height as used during the bulletins and has returned to being like watching people having a job interview, while the 'IKEA' sofa for Kay's show just doesn't look right.

Over Christmas, Studio 6 was used for the Year in Review show, which had a sofa borrowed from Soccer AM. Yet despite the clinical blandness on the screens, it showed that it has potential if Sky didn't stubbornly continue to under utilise them.
WO
Worzel

The glass box desk which was lowered slightly for the Press Preview helped give that programme some form of informality, yet it's the same height as used during the bulletins and has returned to being like watching people having a job interview, while the 'IKEA' sofa for Kay's show just doesn't look right.

Over Christmas, Studio 6 was used for the Year in Review show, which had a sofa borrowed from Soccer AM. Yet despite the clinical blandness on the screens, it showed that it has potential if Sky didn't stubbornly continue to under utilise them.

I just wish they'd go back to using a variety of shots again, looking out onto Sky Central. That would go some way to improve things.

Ittr and London Lite gave kudos
AA
Aaron_2015
When they first moved to Sky Central, the presentation felt genuinely different and fresh. Whilst it was a little bland, the light colours and the large open space was refreshing. They seemed to panic quite early on and proceed to shove everything in front of the large screen.

Almost everything about the current presentation seems uninspired or ‘off’ somehow, from the dodgy green screen extension to the ‘patio chairs’ in the glass box to the plain white backgrounds.
:-(
A former member
Wouldn’t be surprised to see something more permanent to replace the patio chairs at some point. I still think the glass box looks pretty decent - maybe some of the beige walls in the distance would look better in a bolder colour (or white) but it tends to look good on Kay’s show and when Jayne Secker and Colin Brazier are on.

My issue is still with everything else - particularly the graphics and music. Every other news broadcaster in the UK has gone back to non-flashy straight news sat behind a desk. Everything’s a bit dull. Sky could really stand out now if they wanted by rethinking how they present things and modernising the look and sound of the channel.

And I wish they’d choose a slightly less gharish colour scheme.
Woodpecker and London Lite gave kudos
WO
Worzel
Wouldn’t be surprised to see something more permanent to replace the patio chairs at some point. I still think the glass box looks pretty decent - maybe some of the beige walls in the distance would look better in a bolder colour (or white) but it tends to look good on Kay’s show and when Jayne Secker and Colin Brazier are on.

My issue is still with everything else - particularly the graphics and music. Every other news broadcaster in the UK has gone back to non-flashy straight news sat behind a desk. Everything’s a bit dull. Sky could really stand out now if they wanted by rethinking how they present things and modernising the look and sound of the channel.

And I wish they’d choose a slightly less gharish colour scheme.

Why not lower the main desk to coffee table height and conduct the interviews from there looking out onto Sky Central. It would look less doctors waiting room.

You'd certainly get a better level of perspective on close ups vs the chairs against the glass with everything looking rather messy.

With some nice tracking shots, it used to look pretty good.

Last edited by Worzel on 27 January 2019 12:27pm
BF
BFGArmy
I do think there are some decent presentation points they use in the glass box - the Newshour position with the presenter perpendicular to the big screen works well and they often use a shot during the evening hour straight at the big screen with the presenter to the side and the whole of the big screen shown which looks quite nice (can't find any images of it but hopefully somebody knows what I mean)

That said can't say I'm a fan of the corridor backdrop they use for Colin and Jayne's shift or the close-up of the big screen used during the evening shifts. I remember most hated it at the time but I did like when they showed the atrium as the backdrop - some backdrops worked better than others but it made the channel feel a bigger operation than just sticking them in front of a corridor.
RK
Rkolsen
To be honest its funny how we now love the glass box. Put maybe to make it more livelier is for it to be over the newsroom or random cubicles or looking down them from higher floors where you can see. But with its placement it likely won’t happen.

Newer posts