The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
AJ posted:

I wouldn't expect that any time soon, if at all. Expect collaboration from time to time, sharing of resources etc. But full integration? Nope. Sky will continue to be run in the same way as usual, just as a vertical of Comcast.

Which is why I said....
so dont expect much in the shorterm.

NBC/Universal/Comcast doesnt really allow many of global properties to operate without much input or oversight, especially a property thats not making any profit, like SkyNews. Thats never been their modus operandi. I wouldnt expect it change. Buts thats not to say it will become a clone of MSNBC mind you. Plus you are operating with the assumption that SkyNews and SkyTG24 will continue to operate independent from NBC News International. THat is highly unlikely. Its just will take minute for it all to be integrated.
AJ
AJ
AJ posted:

I wouldn't expect that any time soon, if at all. Expect collaboration from time to time, sharing of resources etc. But full integration? Nope. Sky will continue to be run in the same way as usual, just as a vertical of Comcast.

Which is why I said....

NBC/Universal/Comcast doesnt really allow many of global properties to operate without much input or oversight, especially a property thats not making any profit, like SkyNews. Thats never been their modus operandi. I wouldnt expect it change. Buts thats not to say it will become a clone of MSNBC mind you. Plus you are operating with the assumption that SkyNews and SkyTG24 will continue to operate independent from NBC News International. THat is highly unlikely. Its just will take minute for it all to be integrated.

Your point was about an expectation that Sky will become fully integrated with Comcast and I was addressing that point. It won't.

Like I said, you'll see collaborations on things like the US elections, NFL in the future etc. You won't see radical change just because Comcast are the owners of Sky.

And if you think it'll take a minute for that level of integration, then there's some wild assumptions going on.
WW
WW Update
AJ posted:
AJ posted:

Which is why I said....

Your point was about an expectation that Sky will become fully integrated with Comcast and I was addressing that point. It won't.

Like I said, you'll see collaborations on things like the US elections, NFL in the future etc. You won't see radical change just because Comcast are the owners of Sky.

And if you think it'll take a minute for that level of integration, then there's some wild assumptions going on.

But why would Comcast keep Sky News at arm's length -- unlike their other properties? Comcast tends to be a hands-on media company, so I'd also be surprised if Sky News gets treated differently. For them, the channel is more valuable as a potential source of profit than as a prestige political tool. (Murdoch had to tread carefully with Sky News because of his newspaper interests and his media market dominance; Comcast doesn't have that issue.)
DE
derek500
Bit of Comcast collaboration with Sky Sports News. Live reports from the range of this week's PGA Tour event from Golf Channel (owned by Comcast) presenters with branded mikes and interaction with the presenter in London.
fusionlad and London Lite gave kudos
SJ
sjhoward
A relevant note in Politico's London Playbook this morning:

Quote:
An announcement is also now looming re one of the biggest jobs in British political journalism — political editor at Sky News. Playbook hears several of Westminster’s best-known political journalists are on the shortlist, and were called back in for further interviews over recent days. Two are senior newspaper hacks from the lobby; two are well-known faces from TV news.
FU
fusionlad Founding member
Jesus what is up with Adam Boulton this morning?

His face has the enthusiasm of a slug in a salt factory.
ME
mediamonkey91
Jesus what is up with Adam Boulton this morning?

His face has the enthusiasm of a slug in a salt factory.

Isn't Adam's face now permanently on that setting? Bar getting droopier, I haven't seen his snarl move in about 5 years Very Happy
fusionlad and Rkolsen gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Yes, nothing unusual there.
fusionlad, Rkolsen and London Lite gave kudos
BF
BFGArmy
He's never been the most engaging presenter.
fusionlad and Rkolsen gave kudos
JR
JRY
He's never been the most engaging presenter.

He's terrible... Not a natural presenter at all. Beth Rigby has presented PMQs a few times and I've found her to be really engaging. She'd be a much better presenter if you ask me. But the problem would be, where does Adam go, as I imagine he's not quite ready to be off the daily schedule.

Also interesting to see who will be the new Political Editor. I think, again, Beth Rigby is more than deserving of the role. But I have a feeling Tom Newton Dunn is in the running... we shall see.
RO
rob Founding member
JRY posted:
Also interesting to see who will be the new Political Editor. I think, again, Beth Rigby is more than deserving of the role. But I have a feeling Tom Newton Dunn is in the running... we shall see.

I have it on good authority that Tom Newton Dunn is not in the running.
BBI45 and London Lite gave kudos
DE
derek500
My choice would be the BBC's Chris Mason.

Newer posts