The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33

Yep I'm sure why Comcast purchased Sky was purely down to Sky News and its presentation.

Who's to say either that Deborah Turness would be an improvement - she was behind the 'Timetable to Terror/Bye Bye Beckham' era of ITV News.

Whats are you talking about? Nobody said they purchased it for its presentation or lack thereof. Comcast will likely look closer at it when its fully integrated into the COMCAST and will start making changes in the future, so dont expect much in the shorterm. Not sure how you came to some other conclusion. And who said it would be an improvement when Turness tookover? She is in charge apparently of NBC News International. Like it or not. So you can conclude that any major changes that are made will go thru her. Good or bad.
WE
welshkid
Gusan posted:
It's always bugged me that Sky News captions have a person's name BELOW their title/description.

Was there a specific reason why this format was adopted?

This has always bugged me. It's almost as if the name isn't really that important
GL
globaltraffic24
I doubt there will be any major changes in tone and overall presentation of SkyNews until COMCAST takes a closer look at the ratings trajectory and who's running things and what they have done over the years. After the... "What h*ll did we just buy?"... moment passes and Deborah Turness and the NBC crew gets involved, then channel will likely see some presentation changes. Until then probably not so much. Creatively the channel is no longer an innovator. Who chooses a white background for interviewees to sit in front of and think its a good a idea? Thats almost like a throw up your hands and give up move.

Yep I'm sure why Comcast purchased Sky was purely down to Sky News and its presentation.

Who's to say either that Deborah Turness would be an improvement - she was behind the 'Timetable to Terror/Bye Bye Beckham' era of ITV News.

At least you’re not “aljazeeraenglishviewer”. That poor guy’s been waiting since 2006 for new pres!

Haha. And while people whine here about Sky's studios, at least they don't go full CNNI and present several hours in a broom cupboard.

I'd argue all 3 Sky News studios right now ARE broom cupboards! You couldn't swing a cat in them, and it shows!

No need for everyone to break into all out war over this. The point is valid. From a presentation geek perspective, Sky's output is dire. I totally understood the approach they were attempting to take when they first rolled it out. (Think more European style clean lines, stylish graphics, etc) but it just looks watered down and bland.
BF
BFGArmy

Whats are you talking about? Nobody said they purchased it for its presentation or lack thereof. Comcast will likely look closer at it when its fully integrated into the COMCAST and will start making changes in the future, so dont expect much in the shorterm. Not sure how you came to some other conclusion. And who said it would be an improvement when Turness tookover? She is in charge apparently of NBC News International. Like it or not. So you can conclude that any major changes that are made will go thru her. Good or bad.

I was referring to the comment you made that Comcast would look at Sky News presentationally and go "What h*ll did we just buy?" which seemed to suggest that Comcast when purchasing Sky would've given a damn about Sky News's presentation - which I doubt they do.

And there are some on here who do seem to think a change,any change would be an improvement on what Sky has now. It's not the most thrilling to watch but certainly they could do worse - I'd much rather what we have now than the Fox News esque graphics and fake newsroom they had around 2007-08 which were an absolute monstrosity and a huge step back from the lovely graphics they had around the time of the 2005 revamp.
MO
Mouseboy33
[
I was referring to the comment you made that Comcast would look at Sky News presentationally and go "What h*ll did we just buy?" which seemed to suggest that Comcast when purchasing Sky would've given a damn about Sky News's presentation - which I doubt they do.

Sorry you misunderstood.
LL
London Lite Founding member
If you're looking for extremes in pres, then it's Comcast's European operations that have them. Sky News for being too bland and then Euronews, where Comcast is the second biggest shareholder (as NBC Universal) with oversized astons etc.
BF
BFGArmy
[
I'd argue all 3 Sky News studios right now ARE broom cupboards! You couldn't swing a cat in them, and it shows!

No need for everyone to break into all out war over this. The point is valid. From a presentation geek perspective, Sky's output is dire. I totally understood the approach they were attempting to take when they first rolled it out. (Think more European style clean lines, stylish graphics, etc) but it just looks watered down and bland.

Not sure you've seen some of CNNI's studios in that case.
The New York one they used to use daily (and still use for weekend evenings) is essentially a down-the-line position with a New York street in the background. I assume that's all it is as you never actually see any other camera angles.
Simiarly their Abu Dhabi studio looks like they've just squeezed into the corner of a room:
The main daytime domestic studio too is tiny as the below image shows - by comparison the glassbox looks pretty spacious:

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Sky's current look and sets (IMO the Sky News Centre looked the best it ever had during that late 2017 farewell) and can see where people are coming from but at the end of the day it does a job and there's certainly been some much worse presentation and sets over the years.
CA
cat
Gusan posted:
It's always bugged me that Sky News captions have a person's name BELOW their title/description.

Yes

Back in 2001/2 when they became completely gaga over Fox News, they flipped them. Because that’s what Fox used to do. (They’ve long since abandoned this)

I’m not sure why Sky still do it. It has always looked odd.

Few other legacies from that era remain, such as the meaningless NEWS ALERT (coming up?).
IN
Independent
cat posted:
Gusan posted:

Yes

Back in 2001/2 when they became completely gaga over Fox News, they flipped them. Because that’s what Fox used to do. (They’ve long since abandoned this)

I’m not sure why Sky still do it. It has always looked odd.

Few other legacies from that era remain, such as the meaningless NEWS ALERT (coming up?).

The presentation at Fox is terrible. Even their biggest fan agrees:
Quote:
“The graphics on Fox are the absolute worst — are you looking at this?” Trump reportedly said.

“CNN and MSNBC are both so much better. I hate to say it — honestly, I really hate to say it — but MSNBC has the best graphics. Fox is the best — they have the best talent. I mean, look at the rest of these people. They can’t believe what’s happening right now. But Fox’s graphics are terrible. They’ve got to do something about it,” the book, titled “Team of Vipers,” reads.

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/01/21/trump-fox-graphics/
ME
mediamonkey91
So many changes are needed to the stale presentation at the moment but I wish they'd start by taking the colour out of the dog to be honest, the red on the new logo is too bright and leaves a green tinge around it. A transparent logo would be better I feel. The old logo was better too imo.
RK
Rkolsen
[

Not sure you've seen some of CNNI's studios in that case.
The New York one they used to use daily (and still use for weekend evenings) is essentially a down-the-line position with a New York street in the background. I assume that's all it is as you never actually see any other camera angles.
Simiarly their Abu Dhabi studio looks like they've just squeezed into the corner of a room:
The main daytime domestic studio too is tiny as the below image shows - by comparison the glassbox looks pretty spacious:

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of Sky's current look and sets (IMO the Sky News Centre looked the best it ever had during that late 2017 farewell) and can see where people are coming from but at the end of the day it does a job and there's certainly been some much worse presentation and sets over the years.

To be honest IMO the Abu Dhabi studio (and it’s larger London and Atlanta counterparts) look a lot better than the CNN domestic studio. Just put a larger monitor in there - let the people and the content be the star not the set.
AJ
AJ

I wouldn't expect that any time soon, if at all. Expect collaboration from time to time, sharing of resources etc. But full integration? Nope. Sky will continue to be run in the same way as usual, just as a vertical of Comcast.

Newer posts