The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 2018 Refresh

(June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
John
Louise has done quite a few Sunday shows.

It’s a programme not a show
LH
lhx1985
If it's shown to an audience it's a show.
Strictly speaking, a programme is a schedule or a list.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
John posted:

See the clip of Huw Edwards on the occasion when a power cut took the Six of air, he referred to the Six as "the show". If that is, then Breakfast certainly would be.
BB
BBI45
John posted:

See the clip of Huw Edwards on the occasion when a power cut took the Six of air, he referred to the Six as "the show". If that is, then Breakfast certainly would be.

If you look at en.oxforddictionaries.com, A 'Show' can be defined as ' A light entertainment programme on television or radio ', whilst a 'Programme' can be defined as ' A presentation or item on television or radio, especially one broadcast regularly between stated times '.

However, on the thesaurus section of the same website, synonyms of a 'Programme' can include, but are not limited to: broadcast, production, show , presentation, transmission, performance, telecast, simulcast, videocast, podcast .

Either way, this seems to be a slightly silly debate, especially considering that the term a person uses to refer to a show/programme, can also vary on the person's idiolect.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I would suggest that the use of "Programme" to refer to the entire output of a station - eg BBC Light Programme, Third Programme - is missing from that definition, which makes the authority of the rest of it debatable Smile
IS
Inspector Sands
I've never liked 'radio show' as a term. It's non visual, there's nothing being shown

I would suggest that the use of "Programme" to refer to the entire output of a station - eg BBC Light Programme, Third Programme - is missing from that definition, which makes the authority of the rest of it debatable Smile

I suppose that derives from a programme of events, like a theatre programme
BR
Brekkie
I've never liked 'radio show' as a term. It's non visual, there's nothing being shown

And that's how we ended up with BBC Sounds.
Lou Scannon and Rkolsen gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
John posted:

You've too much time on your hands.
RK
Rkolsen

You could use Show to refer to a specific episode while program to refer to the entire series (every show - not in the UK sense).
WO
Worzel
It's promo. Not trail. Very Happy Wink
IS
Inspector Sands

And that's how we ended up with BBC Sounds.

No, we ended up with that because they're all programmes, but not all radio programmes
WO
Worzel
The One Programme doesn't quite have that ring to it...

Newer posts