TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

(January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Classic Emmerdale's on the ITV hub, obviously doesn't suffer the contractural issues that Corrie does.
TI
TIGHazard
Classic Emmerdale's on the ITV hub, obviously doesn't suffer the contractural issues that Corrie does.

I thought Classic Corrie was on the Hub for a bit before being removed?
JB
JasonB

I thought Classic Corrie was on the Hub for a bit before being removed?

The first two episodes they showed from 86 were on there and disappeared later that day.
JM
JamesM0984
Useful to know - I often record ITV shows rather than rely on the Hub due to the lack of HD, but as Classic Emmerdale obviously doesn't have that issue it's not something I need to consider.
JA
james-2001
Picture quality's a lot better than the Classic EastEnders on Drama- I imagine that's down to the fact EE were using EMI 2001s that must have been pushing 20 years old (along with other old equipment pulled from elsewhere at the BBC). Emmerdale moved studios in 1989, so I imagine it's quite likely they were using brand new equipment (or at the least not as old as EE were using).

Some of the clips in the 1989 Emmerdale titles stayed in use until 1998. The previous Emmerdale Farm titles had been in use for nearly 14 years!
JA
james-2001
Looks like only the second episode is on the ITV hub online, both episodes are on the Virgin Media one though.
NB
NicB1971
One thing that stood out when Frank and Chris Tate arrived was the heavy cod-Yorkshire accent they both had which then disappeared. It was a pity the producers made Matt and Dolly so irritating for the last couple of years building up to them being axed as they were the mainstay of the series. Kate Hughes/Sugden was a wooden character (or probably the actress). I liked Lyn Whiteley, even when she could be a right cow, and was under-rated. I think she would fit in quite nicely and perhaps give Kim Tate a run for her money 30 years on. Amazing that the series has gone round in a circle with the imminent re-re-introduction of Kim...
WH
Whataday Founding member
It was a pity the producers made Matt and Dolly so irritating for the last couple of years building up to them being axed as they were the mainstay of the series.

See also: Pauline Fowler
JA
james-2001
That didn't help in the sense you could tell towards the end Wendy Richard hated it and didn't want to be there, it came though so obviously in her performance over the last year.
JM
JamesM0984
Odd to see Chris walking after all these years as well as a bit of a Yorkshire accent. He's not having much luck with his newfangled cell phone. Those things'll never take off.

Agreed the picture quality is stunning by 1989 standards, but I believe this is early on from the move from Kirkstall Road to 3 Mills.

Also... Pollard hasn't aged a bit in 30 years!

Certainly interesting to watch. Some of the cliffhangers are a bit... meh. You can see why a major shot in the arm was needed a few years later.
Last edited by JamesM0984 on 22 January 2019 2:31am - 2 times in total
SC
Si-Co
Odd to see Chris walking after all these years as well as a bit of a Yorkshire accent. He's not having much luck with his newfangled cell phone. Those things'll never take off.

Agreed the picture quality is stunning by 1989 standards, but I believe this is early on from the move from Kirkstall Road to 3 Mills.

Yes, I wonder why the Tates (with the exception of Kim) lost their Yorkshire accents once they were established as central characters. Possibly a class thing? I’m not sure if it was ever explained in the narrative whether they were from the local area or not.

Where were 3 Mills studios? Do you mean Sunny Bank Mills in Farsley?
JA
james-2001
Yes, three mills studios are in London, it's where the first 2 series of Big Brother came from, for example. I think the Million Pound Drop and Masterchef too, and in terms of soaps, London Bridge.

Newer posts