The Newsroom

Question Time with Fiona Bruce

January 2019 Onwards (January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BM
BM11
Did anyone see this?

Spreading on twitter even more now. Fiona Bruce being accused of being biased in tweets now being tweeted by senior Labour politicians.
AS
AlexS
Not a surprise from the party that has never elected a leader that isn't a straight white male and seemingly think its acceptable for women to be abused a lot of the time (unless they are one of their own).
AN
Andrew Founding member
It’s of course nonsense. The same people outraged would be retweeting clips and having a field day of amusement if a panalist from the opposite party had been performed poorly and been given a hard time.
BBI45, BFGArmy and Brekkie gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan
The whole Diane Abbott victimizing act is beyond tired. Give it up already.....
Steve in Pudsey and tightrope78 gave kudos
LE
Lester Founding member
I did watch it and thought there was a lot of unnecessary goading at Diane Abbott, audience laughter, sly comments made by the host. Hmm.
EL
elmarko
FWIW I have no problem with fair comment on her and her policies during the show, but if they were really goading them pre-show then I don’t know how any of you can be ok with that.
BM
BM11
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/diane-abbott-question-time-fiona-bruce-bbc-abuse-mistreatment-a8736566.html
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/bbc-hit-back-as-diane-abbott-accuses-them-of-legitimising-racial-abuse-after-question-time-a4043586.html
A couple of updates to the saga.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I wasn't in the audience but I wouldn't be surprised if the full story goes something like this.

If you're going to hire a warm up comedian for a political show chances yet are that the act will involve a bit of political satire.

If you are a fairly senior politician who is prone to gaffes and turning up to interviews woefully under prepared, you turn yourself into a figure of ridicule and invite the attention of satirists. See also Johnson, B.

We have not heard much about the rest of the warm up, but I imagine others were also on the receiving end.

I have a real problem with people using the race card to deflect legitimate criticism, which I suspect might be happening here. Not least because it dilutes the effectiveness of people highlighting incidents of genuine racism.
JA
Jarv
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1086691126411702274?s=19

Just spotted this also
:-(
A former member
I wasn't in the audience but I wouldn't be surprised if the full story goes something like this.

If you're going to hire a warm up comedian for a political show chances yet are that the act will involve a bit of political satire.

If you are a fairly senior politician who is prone to gaffes and turning up to interviews woefully under prepared, you turn yourself into a figure of ridicule and invite the attention of satirists. See also Johnson, B.

We have not heard much about the rest of the warm up, but I imagine others were also on the receiving end.

I have a real problem with people using the race card to deflect legitimate criticism, which I suspect might be happening here. Not least because it dilutes the effectiveness of people highlighting incidents of genuine racism.

Completely agree. Dianne is apparently a victim of “racist and sexist abuse” - no, she’s a victim of her own stupidity.
SW2, Custard56 and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
DE
deejay
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/diane-abbott-question-time-fiona-bruce-bbc-abuse-mistreatment-a8736566.html
LE
Lester Founding member

Completely agree. Dianne is apparently a victim of “racist and sexist abuse” - no, she’s a victim of her own stupidity.

She makes a gaff on the radio about figures and spends the next 2-3 years getting abused and yes some of it is about race.

Newer posts