TV Home Forum

CBBC Channel

New logo for 2016 - out with the green (September 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Caly123
Joe posted:
Just randomly flicked past the overnight filler. The soundtrack sounds oddly familiar (a short loops of a bird tweeting and a dog barking). I don’t suppose anybody recognises it? (Expect some silly comments. Smile )

It reminds me a bit of a BBC One HD regional news Martin Parr filler soundtrack (that’s a mouthful).

You mean this:
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Poking around on YouTube a thought has suddenly occurred to me with regards to children's TV in other languages - for whatever reason we don't as a general rule (with the exception of the odd BBC Alba thing) do the "import and redub" thing with children's programmes (those that were aired in the past had typically been dubbed before they reached these shores).

There are copious episodes of the German TV series Die Pfefferkörner (literally translated as The Peppercorns and it appears to be a kids detective series) on YouTube, a children's show which has been on the air in Germany for the best part of the last twenty years. As the entire thing's in German with no subtitles, I can't understand a damn word, but Auto Translate/Subtitles gets me the general gist of what's going on. It would probably fit right at home on the CBBC Channel but I suppose the costs of buying, translating, redubbing and replacing text elements may be prohibitive considering the size of the target audience.

Yet looking at it the other way, German TV is quite happy to to buy a lot of our programmes and redub and/or subtitle them (and change the programme title into its German equivalent) for a German audience and everybody seems happy with that even if it is a case of putting up with the "mouth says one thing and voice says something else" effect. Is it more of a culture thing as to why we don't do it and yet Germany is happy to?
JA
james-2001
Funnily enough though a fair few US pre-school shows get redubbed with British voices. Not that it seems to be anything approaching consistent which shows get it and which keep the original US voices (and I've seen at least one show which redubs some characters bit not others, and doesn't dub any singing either so the voices sound totally different). And thanks to having young nephews and nieces I've learned most of the voice acting in the UK dubs is awful.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
That's nothing too new is it? Kevin Duala was redoing Blues Clues 20 years ago
IS
Inspector Sands
Poking around on YouTube a thought has suddenly occurred to me with regards to children's TV in other languages - for whatever reason we don't as a general rule (with the exception of the odd BBC Alba thing) do the "import and redub" thing with children's programmes (those that were aired in the past had typically been dubbed before they reached these shores).

There's a couple of programmes on Cbeebies that are originally from Germany, though I think they are English language versions rather than redubs (and neither have any lip sync to deal with as they're cartoons)

Of course there are several well known children's cartoons that are originally in Welsh
JA
james-2001
By several, the only ones I can think of are Superted and Fireman Sam.

And Superted bizarrely got an American remake in the late 80s (that was partly redubbed in the UK to bring Derek Griffiths and Jon Pertwee back).
:-(
A former member
Superted and welsh duck for starters. Aren't most of those series cross productions with many other compaines?
JA
james-2001
Welsh duck is a show I've never heard of.
:-(
A former member
Alfred J quack was the one I was thinking but not its Wil Cwac Cwac. Fireman Sam is also welsh.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Wikipedia claims that Funnybones was originally shown on S4C, but I'm not sure how much earlier - it wouldn't surprise me if the English version was made at the same time.

(Curiously, This episode in Welsh on YouTube has a 1992 copyright date, but post-1995 S4C logo; the English-language equivalent has the contemporaneous one)
Last edited by thegeek on 13 January 2019 2:33pm
MA
madmusician
Joshua Jones was another S4C import, wasn't it?
NW
nwtv2003
Alfred J quack was the one I was thinking but not its Wil Cwac Cwac. Fireman Sam is also welsh.

Wil Cwac Cwac was made for S4C in Welsh and for TV-am in English.

You find a lot of productions for CBeebies are co-produced with the likes of ARD/ZDF, RTÉ and S4C.

Newer posts