TV Home Forum

Big Brother UK

Ratings crash & future indoubt (June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
To be fair the person who wrote that article probably wasn’t born when Big Brother started.
BR
Brekkie
The sad thing is how the story is picked up and rerun in most papers despite it's clear errors.
MR
mr_vivian
Apparently Netflix are still "in talks" with Endemol in the meantime. I just can't see it being picked up by them somehow. I can't see myself going on a binge if I missed a few episodes. I do think it should be an online only show though.
:-(
A former member
Netfilx is $20Bn in debt,
DJ
DJGM
I'm not sure a show like Big Brother could work on a service like Netflix, which is more for binge watching several episodes of of a series. Unless of course Netflix were to introducing live streaming, that could work for launch and eviction shows. A 24/7 live feed from the house would work better on YouTube (or similar) with (probably) not as much need to adhere to Ofcom regulations.
TC
TCOTV

Do they owe $20bn to a "investment" firm in jersey by any chance? Rolling Eyes

Also all I can see in the photo is the furniture taken inside and the outdoor set packed up. I am sure this is something that is done at the end of every series to protect the equipment.
GO
gottago

Purposefully so.

Only the live set has been removed as has been said but the house will be demolished in the coming weeks.
JK
JK08

And you think it would be commissioning a series of Big Brother that brought down the international entertainment giant?

51 days later

UT
Upload TV
Channel 5’s ratings are really feeling the effect of not having Celebrity Big Brother on. Since the 2nd January (the day CBB usually launches) Channel 5 have not managed to get close to the rating it got on the same day the year before. For example on the 6th Jan 2018 CBB got 1.4M on the 6th Jan 2019 Do The Right Thing got just 480K.
Last edited by Upload TV on 14 January 2019 1:28am
MR
mr_vivian
I would imagine it's no surprise to channel 5 it would take a dip. They wanted to get rid of it off the channel asap no matter the viewing figures.

I'm enjoying the break from it. It would normally suck me in by now. I do wonder who'd be on it this year if it was on.
JO
Jonwo
I would imagine it's no surprise to channel 5 it would take a dip. They wanted to get rid of it off the channel asap no matter the viewing figures.

TBH I think CBB would have dipped anyway and I think from Channel 5's POV, it's not just about January so if the rest of the year can maintain or increase last year's audience share then getting rid of it would be seen as a good thing in the long run
SL
Shaun Linden
Chanel 4 went through a similar phase if i recall. You have to expect a hit and then rebuild - that doesn't happen overnight.

Newer posts