« Topics
James Vertigan3,175 posts since 2 Jun 2001
London London
Note that Roger and Annabel did an interview for Granada and NWT shared copy with them too.

I wonder if it might have been the other way round, and Granada shared some material with NWT? I could imagine them being well aware of the likely mood in the BBC newsroom and offering a little help.

Ben Shatliff, DJ Dave and 4 others
  • Steve in Pudsey
  • Brekkie
  • Spencer For Hire
  • Rkolsen
gave kudos
Rkolsen2,460 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World
Note that Roger and Annabel did an interview for Granada and NWT shared copy with them too.

I wonder if it might have been the other way round, and Granada shared some material with NWT? I could imagine them being well aware of the likely mood in the BBC newsroom and offering a little help.

They all are colleagues and competitors but these are people they likely see frequently especially with both at Media City. It wouldn’t surprise me if they offered help, catered lunch or gathered news footage for them to mourn.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Inspector Sands13,144 posts since 25 Aug 2004
Rival programmes do still work together and support each other in difficult times, and they'll have a lot of connections and friendships between them. In a region there will be a fair deal of movement of staff back and forwards between the two too

Granada News and BBC North West probably more than most as they're located so near each other - they'll share the same local amenities and will see each other outside work. It's not surprising that Granada felt the need to cover it the way they did
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 13 January 2019 7:59am
Jeffmister, Brekkie and 2 others
  • Steve in Pudsey
  • JamesWorldNews
gave kudos
Brekkie30,726 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Recently warned
HTV Wales Wales Today
North West Tonight peaked at 780,000 on Friday, it's highest audience for 5 years. Would be interesting to see the reginoal figures more often - I know on the BBC the 6.30pm regional show usually get 5-6m quite easily, and I think from mumerings the last couple of days NWT gets around 500k, which seems to be a healthy chunk of the audience. Obviously the North West has Manchester and Liverpool and covers a wide area - not sure if it accounts for 10% of the population though.

P.S. Trivial but that's what we're generally here for - notice that social media seems to have dropped the BBC NW icon in favour of BBC North West.
Shouldn't that have been posted in the "John Logie Baird has Invented Television" thread?
London Lite gave kudos
Steve in Pudsey9,632 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Rival programmes do still work together and support each other in difficult times, and they'll have a lot of connections and friendships between them. In a region there will be a fair deal of movement of staff back and forwards between the two too

Granada News and BBC North West probably more than most as they're located so near each other - they'll share the same local amenities and will see each other outside work. It's not surprising that Granada felt the need to cover it the way they did

Plus they are both covering the same stories so teams from both programmes will turn up to the same press conferences, to interview the same people etc, with quite a bit of day to day cooperation between them. Broadcasting is a small world.
Write that down in your copybook now.