TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Joe
Mike Smith is a dirty word now
This is what worries me... people will see the Smith episodes skipped, get the wrong end of the stick, and draw the wrong conclusion...

I would have thought that anybody who worked out which episodes were missing would also realise why.
RD
rdobbie
Thankfully in a little over 6 months we should have finally passed the Smith era and HOPEFULLY there won't be issues with any more presenters (until we reach Gary Glitter in 1994

As someone on DS has pointed out, the ongoing legal matters involving Craig McLachlan may cause Glitter/Rolf style issues with the 1988 episodes - affecting not only McLachlan's hits but also the Angry Anderson studio performance of 'Suddenly' which is interspersed with Neighbours footage that includes McLachlan.
Last edited by rdobbie on 12 January 2019 7:03am
JA
james-2001
Hopefully that would be at the worst cutting his performances rather than skipping whole episodes.

Looking at Popscene though, apart from the Angry Anderson bit you mentioned, he didn't perform on the show until 1990 anyway.
KM
Keith Musselwhite
Gary Glitter appears with the Timelords doing Doctorin The Tardis and is also in the back of the final link on Christmas Day 1988.

Should be ok to remove the song or replace it with an alternative performance from the TL.
They could also edit and zoom the end bit to remove.
LL
Lottie Long-Legs
Gary Glitter appears with the Timelords doing Doctorin The Tardis and is also in the back of the final link on Christmas Day 1988.

Should be ok to remove the song or replace it with an alternative performance from the TL.

Shame. One of the better number ones of the year.
JA
james-2001

That's what they did to get rid of Jonathan King on the 85 Xmas special.

Funnily enough the closing link of the 88 Xmas special was shown on BBC4 over Christmas, on their "what we were watching at Xmas 1988" show.
SW
Steve Williams
Tonight's BBC4 episode must be the longest playout we've had, running for 3 1/2 minutes after the credits finished rolling, right to the end of the Genesis video. Though I imagine nowhere near that much was shown on the original broadcast (the episode runs for nearly 32 minutes on the iPlayer). Interesting it ran right through to the end of the video on this episode, as even on many of the BBC Archive copies of episodes floating around online you can see the video fades out before the end.

Presumably the production team really loved the video - Smitty certainly talked it up when they played it in December. Looks like they were also really struggling to fill up the programme in any case, what with the January lull in the charts, only one studio performance - at number 38 - plus a really short number one, hence that Paul Simon video being shown even though it was only number 31.

Funnily enough the closing link of the 88 Xmas special was shown on BBC4 over Christmas, on their "what we were watching at Xmas 1988" show.

Yes, and it would be dead easy to edit Glitter out - the camera pans across him at the start of the link but he's only in shot for a few seconds.
JA
james-2001
When it comes to the Angry Anderson thing, I wonder if there could be issues anyway regardless of Craig McLachlan? With the Neighbours clips, could it fall victim to the same rights issues as the Grease songs and the Thorn Birds theme?
NG
noggin Founding member
When it comes to the Angry Anderson thing, I wonder if there could be issues anyway regardless of Craig McLachlan? With the Neighbours clips, could it fall victim to the same rights issues as the Grease songs and the Thorn Birds theme?

I wouldn't be surprised if VPL was in place by then - which made things a lot easier.
SW
Steve Williams

That won't be the case. In the case of Grease, and Watership Down, they specifically used clips of the film and they were credited as such in the credits - "Grease extract courtesy of CIC/Paramount" etc. By this point there were now official videos which were produced expressly for this purpose. If you're going to have issues with Suddenly you'd have issues with pretty much every episode - Take My Breath Away got shown the other week, for a start.

They also used Neighbours clips on that said same 1988 clip show on BBC4 the other week, which had a budget of about 5p.

Not that I think speculating over whether they will or won't show clips of Craig McLachlan ages before the case even goes to court is very useful, mind.
TI
TIGHazard

That won't be the case. In the case of Grease, and Watership Down, they specifically used clips of the film and they were credited as such in the credits - "Grease extract courtesy of CIC/Paramount" etc. By this point there were now official videos which were produced expressly for this purpose. If you're going to have issues with Suddenly you'd have issues with pretty much every episode - Take My Breath Away got shown the other week, for a start.

They also used Neighbours clips on that said same 1988 clip show on BBC4 the other week, which had a budget of about 5p.

Not that I think speculating over whether they will or won't show clips of Craig McLachlan ages before the case even goes to court is very useful, mind.

It seems to be clips interspersed with the performance.
JA
james-2001

It wasn't a proper video though (the actual video for the song doesn't have any footage from Neighbours in it anyway), it was clips mixed with the performance. Like the Thorn Birds theme I mentioned above, which got cut from the 1984 repeats for that reason. Presumably they bought in the footage (or were able to use it due to the BBC showing the programme at the time), thet still may not automatically have the rights to show it again 31 years later without having to pay to use it.
Last edited by james-2001 on 13 January 2019 9:58pm

Newer posts