The Newsroom

Presenters and Rostas

Did Moira ever lead the Six O'Clock News? (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markyboy81
During the virtual era I remember Breakfast News and the Nine O'clock news being presented from South Africa. The One O'clock news from party conferences and Hong Kong. I also remember Martyn Lewis broadcasting his last Six from Edinburgh
JL
JamesLaverty1925
During the virtual era I remember Breakfast News and the Nine O'clock news being presented from South Africa. The One O'clock news from party conferences and Hong Kong. I also remember Martyn Lewis broadcasting his last Six from Edinburgh

An example of a location presented Breakfast News from the 90s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjMkJnN3noE&t=40s
NE
Newsroom
There were occasions in the post virtual era when Peter Sissons would present the Six from Westminster - IIRC from a glass box erected on the green. I can only remember Anna Ford being back in the studio, not Moira. It was during the John Cole, John Sergeant era.

56 days later

JL
JamesLaverty1925
Found another example of location based news in the 90's, appears to back up the previous post describing a glass box, Edward Stourton presenting the One in a rather rainy Edinburgh (at end of video for the rain).

Obviously just a short extract, but I'd assume somebody else, my first guess would be Justin Webb, back at the studio? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRD2cdCrIiM
BM
BM11
What did BBC1 NI show in the 6:30pm-7pm slot in those days?

A delayed Neighbours?

Considering that Neighbours without commercial breaks is/was less than 25 minutes, how could/did NI fill the 30-minute slot?

EDIT: Also, why did NI even have its main regional news in that pre-6pm slot, at odds with everywhere else?

It was Neighbours. They tended to record it off network at lunchtime and fade out the audio completely (well usually) if it had vo promoting afternoon programmes. They started doing this when there were other shows in the pre-6pm slot and when the national news finished at 6:35 it wasn’t a problem. When regional news elsewhere moved to 6:30 they added an “Inside Ulster Update” at 6:55 which, after a few years, had sign language.

The reason was presumably to be first with the news (before UTV). During the troubles, news was particularly important, and they always wanted to beat the competition (UTV has, for many years beaten BBC NI in the ratings for regional news).

The only this was, many people weren’t home from work by 5:35 so eventually it moved to 6:30 like elsewhere. At the time they publicised the move by editing together Neighbours clips to make it seem they were talking about the schedule change.

It’s worth noting that when there was an extended Six O’Clock News, BBC NI had to broadcast Neighbours at 5:35 and Inside Ulster at 6:40 or whenever.

I have seen elsewhere that a main reason UTV used to beat the BBC was that UTV was seen as less British for nationalist viewers while not putting off unionists.
Last edited by BM11 on 10 January 2019 3:52pm
JK
JKDerry
BM11 posted:
What did BBC1 NI show in the 6:30pm-7pm slot in those days?

A delayed Neighbours?

Considering that Neighbours without commercial breaks is/was less than 25 minutes, how could/did NI fill the 30-minute slot?

EDIT: Also, why did NI even have its main regional news in that pre-6pm slot, at odds with everywhere else?

It was Neighbours. They tended to record it off network at lunchtime and fade out the audio completely (well usually) if it had vo promoting afternoon programmes. They started doing this when there were other shows in the pre-6pm slot and when the national news finished at 6:35 it wasn’t a problem. When regional news elsewhere moved to 6:30 they added an “Inside Ulster Update” at 6:55 which, after a few years, had sign language.

The reason was presumably to be first with the news (before UTV). During the troubles, news was particularly important, and they always wanted to beat the competition (UTV has, for many years beaten BBC NI in the ratings for regional news).

The only this was, many people weren’t home from work by 5:35 so eventually it moved to 6:30 like elsewhere. At the time they publicised the move by editing together Neighbours clips to make it seem they were talking about the schedule change.

It’s worth noting that when there was an extended Six O’Clock News, BBC NI had to broadcast Neighbours at 5:35 and Inside Ulster at 6:40 or whenever.

I have seen elsewhere that a main reason UTV used to beat the BBC was that UTV was seen as less British for nationalist viewers while not putting off unionists.

UTV always had a more warm, open feel to their news presentation. BBC was nearly always seen as colder more formal. UTV had a great aptitude for blending the hard news with soft news, especially during their peak of Good Evening Ulster in the late 70s and 80s.

BBC Northern Ireland always felt formal and cold, just like the BBC national news style. There was very little banter between the presenters, and soft news stories were hard to come by on Inside Ulster, who would focus more on politics and the troubles.

I always enjoyed UTV News output, sadly in 2019 the quality and quantity has dropped, especially since they have now been minced into the ITV corporate brand.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I always enjoyed UTV News output, sadly in 2019 the quality and quantity has dropped, especially since they have now been minced into the ITV corporate brand.

Neither the quality nor quantity has dropped since they adopted the ITV style branding.
TI
tightrope78

Neither the quality nor quantity has dropped since they adopted the ITV style branding.

It has already dropped so low it can’t go any lower. Complete trash these days, IMHO.
JK
JKDerry

The distinct look UTV had made it what it was. Now it has the generic ITV News brand, it has lost its warmth, and has become another corporate ITV entity. They also messed up installing the actual studio set, with the terrible spotlight reflections on the set, which I think is still there, just the camera angles have changed to try and avoid it on screen. This is what I meant about the drop in quality.
JW
JamesWorldNews

The distinct look UTV had made it what it was. Now it has the generic ITV News brand, it has lost its warmth, and has become another corporate ITV entity. They also messed up installing the actual studio set, with the terrible spotlight reflections on the set, which I think is still there, just the camera angles have changed to try and avoid it on screen. This is what I meant about the drop in quality.

They could use that as a feature and call the programme "Spotlight". It could catch on, you know.......
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Going back further, this is the earliest I can find for a location presented BBC News bulletin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucCfX-9bQ3o
JW
JamesWorldNews
Going back further, this is the earliest I can find for a location presented BBC News bulletin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucCfX-9bQ3o

Nice find! I don’t recall this at all.

Nice imitation of the London desk.

Newer posts