TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LS
Lou Scannon
Let’s not forget though that the one and only reason for having a star as the logo is to reinforce the Star of David and the symbolism of Israel as a state. All that design talk is a load of guff.

Not sure what your point is... Influences from flags are often part of Eurovision logos

The Star of David is a LOT more than an influence from a flag... It is a much more powerful symbol than just that.

The Eurovision Song Contest's only interest in perhaps utilising a 6-point star symbol for the branding of the 2019 event would nevertheless be because it happens to be on the host country's flag, rather than because of anything to do with Judaism and/or implying any opinion regarding the long-standing Israel/Palestine sensitivities etc.

If the UK were ever to host the ESC in the future (which would presumably be after hell freezes over?!), and if that year's ESC logo was based in any way on the Union Flag, that would not mean that the EBU are suggesting any opinion regarding the Union (e.g. versus Scottish independence etc).
NG
noggin Founding member

Not sure what your point is... Influences from flags are often part of Eurovision logos

The Star of David is a LOT more than an influence from a flag... It is a much more powerful symbol than just that.

The Eurovision Song Contest's only interest in perhaps utilising a 6-point star symbol for the branding of the 2019 event would nevertheless be because it happens to be on the host country's flag, rather than because of anything to do with Judaism and/or implying any opinion regarding the long-standing Israel/Palestine sensitivities etc.

You talk about the contest as if it's a person or a single organisation though? The reality is that the contest is the product of the production team making it that year (with some heavy steering from the EBU). This year that production is through KAN - the Israeli Host Broadcaster - and so they will be more than aware of the symbolism over-and-above the flag - as of course will the EBU.

The EBU is very aware of sensitivities in this regard I'm sure - with recent issues to do with prospective participants refusing to broadcast the Israeli entry.

Quote:

If the UK were ever to host the ESC in the future (which would presumably be after hell freezes over?!), and if that year's ESC logo was based in any way on the Union Flag, that would not mean that the EBU are suggesting any opinion regarding the Union (e.g. versus Scottish independence etc).

Yes - and there was a bit of a kerfuffle a few years ago when Scottish, Welsh and English flags were not on the 'approved' flag list...

However the Star of David has much more profound symbolism, and on a wholly different level, to that of the Scottish independence referendum. Particulary in relation to Nazi Germany.

I'm not criticising its use as a symbol, nor am I saying it shouldn't be used, but I think it's incredibly naive to think it's just a nod to the national flag. A symbol so loaded with heritage and meaning is never likely to be just that.
SH
Shiruba98
The logo for Eurovision: You Decide has been changed to something more simpler and it has more emphasis on the national colours of red, blue and white there too.

We also have a date and details about tickets!

You Decide will be live on BBC Two and iPlayer at 7:30pm on Friday 8th February at MediaCityUK in Salford.

Audience tickets are free but the spaces are limited so a ballot has been opened at lostintv.com
Here's the link if you guys want to grab a ticket. Good luck!

https://lostintv.com/tv-show?id=1024
Last edited by Shiruba98 on 11 January 2019 12:13pm
JM
JamesM0984
Missed revenue opportunity there which could help fund a better Eurovision campaign.
BM
BM11
BBC are not allowed to charge for tickets for stuff they produce for television.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Someone once told me it was a false economy, selling tickets to TV shows rather than giving them away. The amount made compared to the extra liabilities is apparently negligible.
TI
tightrope78
BM11 posted:
BBC are not allowed to charge for tickets for stuff they produce for television.

You’re wrong. I’ve paid for tickets for the last three ‘You Decide’ broadcasts.
HC
Hatton Cross
But the last three were staged at external venues - so there was probably some nominal charge to pass on to the venue from the cost of the ticket.

This is slightly different in that it's coming from Studio 1 at Dock10 Studios at Media City. A 'proper' tv studio, so there's nothing additional to charge for, everything out the programme budget - and if you are charged for a ticket..
..speak to a member of the senior production team and alert them.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Destination Eurovision will be shown on TV5 Monde this year which is widely available in the UK via Virgin and FTA Satellite.
HC
Hatton Cross
TV5 Monde disappeared off channel 717 on Sky in early December.
NW
nwtv2003

It’s also due to disappear from Virgin at some point if not already so. I believe it remains FTV online.
NG
noggin Founding member
Destination Eurovision will be shown on TV5 Monde this year which is widely available in the UK via Virgin and FTA Satellite.

Yes - I believe it has disappeared entirely from 28.2E - so it's not just disappeared from Sky by leaving the EPG, it's disappeared from all UK satellite platforms (Freesat, Sky and FTA)

Newer posts