The Newsroom

Dianne Oxberry

BBC North West Tonight presenter has died aged 51. (January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BS
Ben Shatliff
A really nice tribute that can't have been easy for the team at NWT, and I think a lot of credit is due for putting something so fitting and so professional together in the circumstances. (I'll even forgive the Shatliffed archive clips, in view of the occasion).

Going old school and using a separate newsreader at the DTL position was a genius decision, allowing that panel of guests to assemble on the sofas during and keep the pace of the programme going.

Both news programmes were very good with their delivery on what has been a sad day for all involved and viewers.

Puzzled by your comment Shatliffed archive clips?

Thanks for getting back.

Like we all have said it was well done. I never met Dianne but she was fantastic from all I have seen and heard over the years.

Am I right in thinking that when she was with BBC GMR in 1993 she used to do the Travel News and they always said AA Roadwatch or am I getting confused? GMR then reverted back to Radio Manchester in case I am confusing anybody.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
BBC Local Radio did use AA Roadwatch for its travel until the early 2000s when Inrix (or its predecessor) got the contract. On some stations at peak times they had their own presenter who did the public transport and local routes then handed to the AA for motorways and main roads.
BS
Ben Shatliff
BBC Local Radio did use AA Roadwatch for its travel until the early 2000s when Inrix (or its predecessor) got the contract. On some stations at peak times they had their own presenter who did the public transport and local routes then handed to the AA for motorways and main roads.

Thank You.
RE
reubz
I don’t even live in the region, but having watched NWT tonight, the love of Dianne in the region has clearly had an impact on me. I was playing songs all night on YouTube. The second I switch off, my TV is tuned into Top of the Pops on BBC Four, where ‘Raindrops keep fallin on my head’ is playing Sad
LL
London Lite Founding member
Roger and Annabel were also on News Nationwide today.

watchingtv and WW Update gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
Incredible tribute. So sad. The poet at the end was a nice touch.
watchingtv and scottishtv gave kudos
RO
rob Founding member
Here's last night's late bulletin.

MA
Markymark
Note that Roger and Annabel did an interview for Granada and NWT shared copy with them too.

I wonder if it might have been the other way round, and Granada shared some material with NWT? I could imagine them being well aware of the likely mood in the BBC newsroom and offering a little help.

Looking at yesterday's coverage, it pretty well mirrored the situation YTV and BBC Leeds were in when Richard Whiteley died in 2005
SP
Steve in Pudsey
And when Mike Neville retired, both ITV and BBC led with it.
MA
Markymark
It would have been around that era that Look North (Leeds) got a dedicated forecaster. A continuity announcer (usually Peter Levy or Brian Baines before) him would do the forecast out of vision, often over a viewer's picture. I think John Mundy often did something similar in the North West.

South Today pre 1991 had such a tiny studio, that in the 70s the weather was just a read and simple map by the main presenter. It later evolved into a dedicated weather presenter sat at the 'bulletin desk' alongside a monitor. Here's a very young Martyn Davis in 1988 (with equally young Bruce Parker and Sally Taylor)

https://youtu.be/jzb17AXWcBk?t=192

When they moved to their new Havelock Road site in 1991 then it was stand up in front of a screen/CSO
CR
Critique
When they moved to their new Havelock Road site in 1991 then it was stand up in front of a screen/CSO

Is there some unwritten rule that places associated with TV must use one of a select few names? God knows how many Television Centres and Broadcasting Houses there must be up and down the country, and not only a Havelock House but also a Havelock Road!
Rkolsen and Markymark gave kudos
MA
Markymark

Is there some unwritten rule that places associated with TV must use one of a select few names? God knows how many Television Centres and Broadcasting Houses there must be up and down the country, and not only a Havelock House but also a Havelock Road!

Oh yes, ha !! I'd never clocked the co-incidence until you'd mentioned it !

Newer posts