« Topics
NicB1971254 posts since 25 Oct 2015
Central (West) Midlands Today
I think there was similar grief when BBC Radio Shropshire's Vicki Archer died. It was such a shock and so tragic that a lovely, outgoing person could end her life in such a way. I listened to her most afternoons, and on that day I don't think there was any indication whatsoever about what was going to happen. Very sad indeed.
Brekkie31,172 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
I did wonder how they'd do the weather, a good decision not to do a forecast at all, who would want to fill that position tonight?

Did they have a forecast at lunchtime?

Was interesting to learn they didn't have a forecaster before she joined in 1994. Was that common across the regions?
Last edited by Brekkie on 11 January 2019 10:09pm
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Steve in Pudsey9,894 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
It would have been around that era that Look North (Leeds) got a dedicated forecaster. A continuity announcer (usually Peter Levy or Brian Baines before) him would do the forecast out of vision, often over a viewer's picture. I think John Mundy often did something similar in the North West.
Write that down in your copybook now.
Inspector Sands13,492 posts since 25 Aug 2004
I think there was similar grief when BBC Radio Shropshire's Vicki Archer died. It was such a shock and so tragic that a lovely, outgoing person could end her life in such a way. I listened to her most afternoons, and on that day I don't think there was any indication whatsoever about what was going to happen. Very sad indeed.

Yes that was who I was referring to.

They seem very similar in terms of their personalities and backgrounds, as was the shock and outpouring of grief. Although of course they died in very different circumstances
Andrew13,529 posts since 27 Mar 2001
I did wonder how they'd do the weather, a good decision not to do a forecast at all, who would want to fill that position tonight?

Did they have a forecast at lunchtime?

Yes they did, Alex Hamilton who is presume would be the morning weather hub presenter.

Viewers are particularly close to long serving presenters in the regions. I think it’s something you mostly only get in the regions as as well as seeing them every night, you get to see their personalities as well, due to the light and shade during the bulletin, the lighter banter at the end, the fact the programmes are often double headed, the fact the presenters are often seen out and about in the region covering lighter stories as well as the hard news.

The 8:15 from Manchester is one of my earliest memories of Saturday morning kids shows, I wasn’t aware she was on it as it is a distant memory and I was young, I only remember the theme tune and Ross King.
Spencer For Hire5,808 posts since 13 Jan 2003
I think the heartfelt reaction to today’s news really underlines the impact that regional presenters have on the people in the areas they serve. It’s clear that many viewers feel a special closeness and affection for those on screen in their area, and see them as ‘one of their own’ - almost like extended members of the family.

The response to Dianne’s death puts me in mind of the tributes we’ve seen in the past to people like Richard Whiteley, Tony Wilson and Mike Neville.
Robust amateurism
Brekkie gave kudos
Ben Shatliff1,021 posts since 30 Aug 2003
Granada North West Today
A really nice tribute that can't have been easy for the team at NWT, and I think a lot of credit is due for putting something so fitting and so professional together in the circumstances. (I'll even forgive the Shatliffed archive clips, in view of the occasion).

Going old school and using a separate newsreader at the DTL position was a genius decision, allowing that panel of guests to assemble on the sofas during and keep the pace of the programme going.

Both news programmes were very good with their delivery on what has been a sad day for all involved and viewers.

Puzzled by your comment Shatliffed archive clips?
www.benjaminfshatliff.com

Ben Shatliff Online - There to help you
Inspector Sands13,492 posts since 25 Aug 2004

The 8:15 from Manchester is one of my earliest memories of Saturday morning kids shows, I wasn’t aware she was on it as it is a distant memory and I was young, I only remember the theme tune and Ross King.

I noticed in today's coverage that she met her husband while working on The 8:15 From Manchester, he was a cameraman on it. But his name is Ian Hindle and her co-presenter was Charlotte Hindle, wonder if that's a coincidence or are they related?
buster gave kudos