TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
The generic listing for Emmerdale on ITV3 on Virgin also has a cast listing: "Christopher Chittell, Steve Halliwell, James Hooton", of course only the former was actually in Emmerdale in 1989.

Similar often happens with their listings of EastEnders and Coronation Street, even when the synopsis is correct, usually when it's week or more ahead of broadcast. For example, the Drama EastEnders synopsis often lists Jamie Borthwick, who wasn't even born when these episodes were made!
JM
JamesM0984
Depends what they're titled as. If the entry is just "Emmerdale" I expect it's pulling the same cast list down as it would for anything else called "Emmerdale."
:-(
A former member
What's H&W?

Closer each day... Homer & Way...

That made me laugh to no end.

Si-Co posted:
Another late regional soap was Quayside which ran on YTV and C3NE/TTT in 1997, and was repeated in 1998.

To correct/add to some of the information about regional scheduling - Granada actually showed Blockbusters at 3.20pm twice a week from April 1993, not at 5.10pm. I’m not sure what was going out at 5.10 after H&A moved to 6pm in Jan 1993 - possibly Families twice a week (previously shown at 6pm when the rest of the network saw it in the early afternoon).

It wouldn't have been Families because the Granada scheduling of that series was very odd, despite them producing it. When it began it was networked with Granada alone showing an omnibus on Thursdays at 10.40 - but at some point, Granada stopped showing the network screenings and only showed the omnibus (presumably it was doing way better in that slot). During the brief period in 1992 when they had Home and Away at 5.10 and Granada Tonight at 6.30, they did show Families at six - as well as the omnibus - but that only lasted a few months and by 1993 it was back to being just the omnibus (which my gran never missed, and as she came to our house on a Thursday we had to get her home for 10.40 to see it).

I had to go looking and as said Granada filled the 17.10 slot with "stuff" Movies, games and videos, New adventures of Black beauty, Hunt the pie: http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Hunt_the_Pie , Dinosaurs, Billy? anyone know what that is? The munsters today,
but Blockbuster was moved back to 17.10 slot by September 1993, so everything was moving around all the time.

In 1994, Granada and border tried, Shortland street at 17.10, it never lasted long and thus cooking shows, Take the high road (Friday) , Busman's holiday, home Sylte, Travel Trails, The 051 show? Runway (R) but finally A country practice got most of the slots to burn off the series.

YTV/TT again were looking for stuff like repeats of, talkabout (R), Crosswits(R) and a vets life(R) and new, in between some new regional shows, Strange to think Central had Swot or Wot?, Talkabout and Gardening time at 17.10 before Shortland street come along.

by 1997 Border moved Supermarket sweep to 17.10 to have A country practice go out at 09.25 instead.

Would Border have fed someone else the evening Home and Away? Wouldn't TTT have just taped it from the lunchtime feed?

Its possible it could have also been Grampian, its been noted around this place Grampian and border used to share promo and weekend line ups, along with owning a certain Radio station.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Obviously a different era but arguable that the regions doing their own thing allowed each of them to learn where shows might work best and give them their best chance - it's no coincidence most seemed to settle with Home and Away at 6pm, and suspect that gave them a better lead in to the local news than the Early Evening News too.

Back on topic and is Emmerdale getting an early morning airing as well?
Last edited by Brekkie on 9 January 2019 9:52pm
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
RE
Revitt Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
What's H&W?

Closer each day... Homer & Way...

I always thought it was - blustery day.....homer and way!
JM
JamesM0984
Obviously a different era but arguable that the regions doing their own thing allowed each of them to learn where shows might work best and give them their best chance - it's no coincidence most seemed to settle with Home and Away at 6pm, and suspect that gave them a better lead in to the local news than the Early Evening News too.

Back on topic and is Emmerdale getting an early morning airing as well?

I'd agree with the embarrassment thing - it was an import but one that performed exceptionally well. I guess some regions liked the idea of that than others. Central, for example, probably weren't fussed so were happy to put it on as late as possible to maximise its audience and thus the spot rate. I'm surprised they didn't follow Border's lead at 6:30; stick a bloody good soap in near primetime and then beat (E)MT to the headlines.
A former member
That simple, Central along with STV started the regional news before 18.30, it would also seem to start around 18.27 ish to get in more time.
IS
Inspector Sands
That simple, Central along with STV started the regional news before 18.30, it would also seem to start around 18.27 ish to get in more time.

No, that will be to start it before the BBCs
BS
Ben Shatliff Granada North West Today

No, that will be to start it before the BBCs

Granada Tonight as it was then called followed the same example and tried to start around 6:25. Both Central and Granada were listed as starting at 6:25.

In regards to Families; April - December 1992 it aired at 6PM only in the Granada Region. The Thursday Omnibus returned January 1993 till the finale the following August.

I too watched every episode of Families.

Back on topic. I would like to see Emmerdale from 1972 era but 1989 will be good too.
‪I'm staying at home to protect the NHS and save lives. #StayHomeSaveLives‬
SW
Steve Williams
I had to go looking and as said Granada filled the 17.10 slot with "stuff" Movies, games and videos, New adventures of Black beauty, Hunt the pie: http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Hunt_the_Pie , Dinosaurs, Billy? anyone know what that is? The munsters today,
but Blockbuster was moved back to 17.10 slot by September 1993, so everything was moving around all the time.

Ah, happy memories. Billy was the short-lived sitcom Billy Connolly made for US TV that spun off from his role in BBC1 daytime staple Head of the Class.

Indeed, and it was more or less down to the individual regions as to whether they thought the regional news would be better at six or 6.30. I remember reading in Broadcast circa 1995 a bit where they discussed which regional news shows got the best audience share and the region where ITV was the most popular was Central, where of course they went head to head with the Beeb. I seem to remember the least popular was Tyne Tees but that was in the days when Mike Neville was on the Beeb who had tremendous personal popularity. I also remember reading Granada were always ahead of the Beeb until they moved to six in 1997, at which point the Beeb overtook them.

As mentioned, Central seemed to be especially keen on soaps, they kept Shortland Street in a really prominent slot for ages and would show things like Echo Point which most other regions didn't bother with.

Granada Tonight as it was then called followed the same example and tried to start around 6:25. Both Central and Granada were listed as starting at 6:25.

And on Yorkshire, Calendar started at 5.55 - again presumably to get one jump ahead on the Six O'Clock News.

As mentioned, the episodes of Emmerdale we'll get on ITV3 are from the last few weeks when it was on at 6.30. This was slightly odd scheduling, I think, and it seemed a bit of demotion for Emmerdale which was doing well enough at seven keeping BBC1 in check. If you look at Television's Greatest Hits, Top of the Pops rarely gets into the Top 20 ratings in 1986 and 1987 - indeed in those years the only episodes that do are episodes moved to 7.30 on other nights, away from the Thursday 7pm slot. But then in 1988 it appears more frequently and the highest rated episode is a Thursday 7pm one, so clearly it was performing better against the brantub of shows ITV were now showing in that slot.

Presumably it was decided Emmerdale was too downmarket to get the 7pm slot, or they wanted to utilise it in an earlier slot to try and get one jump ahead of the Beeb in hooking in an audience for the rest of the evening. Then of course in 1990 it moved back to seven.
A former member
I never know about that Billy Connolly sitcom I wonder if others took it. Echo point, the only other ITV company to broadcast it was Grampian and that was to replace Paradise Beach,

I thought Emmerdale was moved to 18.30 to fill the gap left by Crossroads? with the 7pm junction filled up with Gameshows?
SW
Steve Williams
I thought Emmerdale was moved to 18.30 to fill the gap left by Crossroads? with the 7pm junction filled up with Gameshows?

Well, that may indeed be the case, although I think it moved to 6.30 at the start of 1988, at which point Crossroads was still running.

Newer posts