The Newsroom

The new NEW Central West and BBC Midlands thread

(January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
South Today

Originally the space was a meeting room (in the 2001 plans), later adapted to house the studio. A plan was shared on the Pebble Mill facebook showing the original space, very BBC LDN inspired (it was 2000/2001!)

Off topic but the LDN studio wasn't intended to be their full time studio either. Originally it was for short bulletins only. The main programme was supposed to come from a training studio in the building behind. However they decided that not only was it unfeasible but also they liked how the bulletin space looked.

The original studio set up had some of the news room desks encroaching onto it

I liked it when it launched in 2001 it was extremely modern and refreshing.
IS
Inspector Sands

Indeed, it was fresh and minimalist and unique. The only thing that looks a bit odd when you see it now are the two screens which look tiny now, at the time they were modern big flat panels
ST
South Today

Indeed, it was fresh and minimalist and unique. The only thing that looks a bit odd when you see it now are the two screens which look tiny now, at the time they were modern big flat panels

Plus a really strong presenting team of Emily, Gillian and Jules.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I'm in a minority who hated BBC London Mark 1, the distracting goldfish bowl and the art gallery feel. One minute, there was the traditional Newsroom South East format, then this!

Fortunately it settled down once Maitlis and co left with a much more friendlier, but authoritative presenter in Riz Lateef and sets that resembled a news programme rather than the Tate.

15 days later

ST
South Today
Wednesday marks the 30th anniversary since the launch of Central South. I wonder if will see some special mentions on Twitter and perhaps Wesley will be on late bulletin duty... fingers crossed!
HC
Hatton Cross

I believe so.

Presumably they realised there'd be issues with things like the reflection of cameras/autocue being visible in the windows during hours of darkness, hence the change of plan?

And with the wrong angles - logos/signage for the bars/cafes clearly visable from that space.
JM
JamesM0984
Either network do anything for Kegworth's 30th?
IS
Inspector Sands

BBC West Midlands presumably wouldn't have as its not in their patch
MA
Markymark

<cough>
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1149660#post-1149660
LI
livereport
Some great pics and comments from Wesley Smith over on Twitter to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the launch of Central News South. Despite a troubled first night, it went from strength to strength and won the loyalty of its local viewers.
RD
RDJ
As good a time as any to repost this. The money Central invested in this to be all set up in a period of six months and it all goes completely tits up from day one. Very embarrassing for them.

Obviously setting up Central News South was Central's efforts to show its investment into the region given the impending franchise auction the next year. It obviously worked for them as they faced no opposition whatsoever!

Just for good measure given this is the Central West thread to post the clip of the last Central West before the split. And to think that Bob is still at the helm thirty years on!

ST
South Today
And next month marks 10 years since the end of the short lived ITV Thames Valley and Wesley losing his main anchor status. I still like to think we shall see him at the helm of a region once again.

Newer posts