TV Home Forum

Channel 4

General Discussion (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Was the reason because of the low viewing figures of the channel or because of the high rates for the slots? Did the regional itv companies then get a cut of the advertising revenue?

They ‘kept’ ALL of the revenue, in return for collectively paying for all of C4’s running costs
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
In other words, it was set up in a such a way that Channel 4 could not fail. Being funded by the ITV companies if it was a success the ITV companies were quids in. If it failed or ran into financial trouble, well ITV picked up the bill. As we know it was a success to the point where the 1990 Broadcasting act changed the rules.

By 2007 Channel 4 had a funding shortfall which was originally going to be plugged by via money being top-sliced from the licence fee. It never happened, instead the money would have come from the government before the EU became involved. Can't quite work out where the money did come from in the end, presumably the state.
MA
Markymark
In other words, it was set up in a such a way that Channel 4 could not fail. Being funded by the ITV companies if it was a success the ITV companies were quids in. If it failed or ran into financial trouble, well ITV picked up the bill.

The initial funding model had one huge advantage, it ensured that ITV and C4 didn't attempt to compete
against each other for the audience, so the relationship between ITV and C4 was the same as that between BBC 1 and 2.

9 days later

PF
PFML84
Very surprised the other day to see a programme promo end board on Channel 4 in a basic font and not in their own custom one. Did someone forget? It wasn't as if it was programme specific either.
VM
VMPhil
Very surprised the other day to see a programme promo end board on Channel 4 in a basic font and not in their own custom one. Did someone forget? It wasn't as if it was programme specific either.

The Last Leg? I saw that too.
JA
JAS84
I saw that. It was The Last Leg, right? I think it was because the endboard was done by the programme's production team - like when This Week gets promoted on BBC One. They didn't have the template, so they blurred the falling blocks to hide the fact the text couldn't be matched exactly to their position in every frame of the animation, and had to use a different font as the usual one wouldn't be on a computer not belonging to Channel 4.
DB
dbl

I suspect it was a rush job/the person didn't have the correct font on their system.

8 days later

MA
Markymark
I've just read elsewhere, that the continuity announcer on C4 this evening has just pronounced catastrophe, as 'catastroff' ? Shocked
OR
orange
What a catastrophe.
DV
DVB Cornwall
See that Channel Four has bought out Bauer Media and has taken full control (albeit with licensed TM channels) of the Box Network today

MR
mr_vivian
See that Channel Four has bought out Bauer Media and has taken full control (albeit with licensed TM channels) of the Box Network today

I'd have thought this would have been a strange move. Are music channels not dying off in general?
BR
Brekkie
Does seem to go against the grain.

Newer posts