The Newsroom

The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread

(August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
New face doing the weather tonight, Gillian Brown. I presume the standard Leeds weather hub arrangement doesn’t operate fully over the Christmas period, as usually it’s the only time of the year we end up seeing Paul Mooney pop up.

It appears Gillian's day job is at BBC Radio Northampton as a journalist.
AN
Andrew Founding member
New face doing the weather tonight, Gillian Brown. I presume the standard Leeds weather hub arrangement doesn’t operate fully over the Christmas period, as usually it’s the only time of the year we end up seeing Paul Mooney pop up.

Right on cue he popped up tonight for his annual appearance
W1LL, Warbler and South Today gave kudos

8 days later

RA
radiolistener
Main story on Levy Live tonight.

The Kegworth disaster.

That took place in Leicestershire.
MA
Markymark

The Kegworth disaster.

And 30 years ago; still the broadcasters always love an anniversary, or something slightly out of area on a slow news day, so this ticks both boxes.
TR
TROGGLES

The Kegworth disaster.

And 30 years ago; still the broadcasters always love an anniversary, or something slightly out of area on a slow news day, so this ticks both boxes.

What could have been a good interview with a member of the Withernsea (local) lifeboat who was first on the scene at Kegworth was totally buggered up by Levy who kept interrupting him when he was about to say something interesting. Worse still It was a prerecorded interview, heavily edited of Levyisms and they still couldn't make it presentable.

I know the rule in ULL is not to let him loose interviewing live, but if he can't do a simple interview on a good topic why is he still there? Que the blue rinse, ah int Peta lovely excuses Rolling Eyes
SW
Steve Williams

The Kegworth disaster.

Just to point out that on BBC London News last night was a story about the Laurel and Hardy film including interviews with Steve Coogan (from Manchester) and John C Reilley (from America) talking about playing Stan Laurel (from Cumbria) and Oliver Hardy (from America). The film was premiering in London, so it was local news. All regions do this.
RA
radiolistener
Maybe it's time to bring back UK Today?
RA
radiolistener

The Kegworth disaster.

What could have been a good interview with a member of the Withernsea (local) lifeboat who was first on the scene at Kegworth was totally buggered up by Levy who kept interrupting him when he was about to say something interesting. Worse still It was a prerecorded interview, heavily edited of Levyisms and they still couldn't make it presentable.

I know the rule in ULL is not to let him loose interviewing live, but if he can't do a simple interview on a good topic why is he still there? Que the blue rinse, ah int Peta lovely excuses Rolling Eyes

His show is effectively a televisual radio show. I'm more surprised he hasn't convinced his bosses that in-between reports of robberies in Hull and a murder in Grimsby there should be a pop video, maybe The Carpenters or something to keep Ethel from Withernsea happy.

"This is Look North it's great you are with us. We'll be giving you the unemployment figures on BBC Look North in the Humberside region but first, here's Phil Collins and Ssssudio. On BBC Look North."
Lou Scannon and South Today gave kudos

13 days later

RA
radiolistener
Tonight's top story on Levy Live.

The lost plane over Alderney.

You cannot make this up.
Lou Scannon and Brekkie gave kudos
RA
radiolistener
And coming up.... a cat missing for ten years found living round the corner from it's owner.

I honestly think it's time the BBC culled this utter waste of licence fee and return it all to Leeds.
BR
Brekkie
Tonight's top story on Levy Live.

The lost plane over Alderney.

You cannot make this up.

How did they justify that. Can't see any tedious link at all.
LS
Lou Scannon
I think that at least a partial sub-opt is justified, as having e.g. Settle and Hunstanton in the same single uber-region is not ideal. But the full Leeds/Hull split for all bulletins was perhaps never truly necessary.

The pan-regional/sub-regional compromise approach has long worked well for Look East, after all.

And, of course, for all non-news stuff (e.g. Inside Out, Sunday Politics, and the now-defunct Late Kick Off) the whole Yorks & Lincs region has continually remained un-split anyway.

Newer posts