« Topics
Rkolsen2,534 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World
As Dan Walker said this morning ‘err we’ll make fun of our PM thank you very much, you stick to your leaders’

Do I assume from that that every twist and turn of Brexit is being covered by the US news? I doubt it’s covered as much as every move Trump makes is covered here mind!

Big stuff. The vote of no confidence and the debate leading up to it got mentions in the evening news.

Worth mentioning that that skit was the very last one of the night right before the final commercial and goodnights and was on around 12:50AM. They usually put something really stupid in that place.

I’m thinking it would not have made it to air unless Lorne Michaels the EP of SNL had not decided to pull sketches featuring Pete Davidson. Pete posted a message on Instagram that had suicidal ideation that was severe enough that the NYPD determined to do a wellness check at 30 Rock.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Mouseboy332,571 posts since 10 Feb 2014
Im not sure, but its probably been dicusssed already. Ive not been closely following SkyNews Brexit coverage from outside Westminster in the last few weeks. But i noticed that Kay Burley and her guests are, have swapped their lapel mics for handhelds seemingly in order to cancel out the protester noise in the background. Never understood why they all persist in using those lapel mics in these situations. Also those (dead rat) mics with the big gray furry wind cover on them.... How good are those in blocking unwanted back ground noise, besides wind noise?
I'm here to give you something to talk about!
https://youtu.be/JSy2SVdtd0U
Aaron_20151,039 posts since 11 Mar 2015
Westcountry Spotlight
Some disgraceful abuse being shouted at guests and anchors alike on College Green today, I’m assuming Anna Soubry being called a Nazi went out live on the BBC News channel? The Green is no longer a suitable place to broadcast from, anything anchored from there is almost unwatchable.
Orry Verducci1,623 posts since 1 Feb 2005
Anglia (West) Look East
Im not sure, but its probably been dicusssed already. Ive not been closely following SkyNews Brexit coverage from outside Westminster in the last few weeks. But i noticed that Kay Burley and her guests are, have swapped their lapel mics for handhelds seemingly in order to cancel out the protester noise in the background. Never understood why they all persist in using those lapel mics in these situations. Also those (dead rat) mics with the big gray furry wind cover on them.... How good are those in blocking unwanted back ground noise, besides wind noise?

They swapped to the handheld mics midway though the Kay Burley show today after the lapel mics they were using caught too much of the inappropriate language coming from the protesters. I've not noticed them use them any other day, but then I haven't really paid much attention so I may be wrong.

The trouble with television news is lapel mics are the norm, so they're reluctant to change them even when they should. The prefer to avoid mics being out of shot as much as possible, in any form. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't carry with them the more directional handheld mics until recently.

I myself wondered originally why the channels have stuck with The Green given how rowdy the protesters have been getting. However thinking about it, it's a very convenient place to get MP's for comment very quickly as all the chaos is happening, so I imagine they're going to stick it out.
Brekkie30,799 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Although having reporters there would serve the same purpose. That said although I agree anchoring from The Green for hours and days on end doesn't make great viewing there is an argument now that not doing so would be censoring the protests.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Mouseboy332,571 posts since 10 Feb 2014
I know its and a Canadian, Australian and American thing. But you rarely see a hand-held mic and branded mic flag or wind cover. Clearly the sound picked up by the handhelds are much better in certain situations, not sure why they would take the risk with inappropriate language in a situation where you KNOW its occurring such as a protest site. IMO its odd not to use the for every live shot from The Green.
I'm here to give you something to talk about!
https://youtu.be/JSy2SVdtd0U
Markymark6,381 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
Although having reporters there would serve the same purpose. That said although I agree anchoring from The Green for hours and days on end doesn't make great viewing there is an argument now that not doing so would be censoring the protests.

Agreed, this is a matter of national importance and should be discussed in the proper environment. You don’t conduct a business meeting outside on the street, so why this. The broadcasters are partly to blame by erecting the huge ‘honeypots’ of the scaffold towers on College Green, that just serve to attract the protesters like wasps.
peterrocket1,341 posts since 5 Sep 2001

Agreed, this is a matter of national importance and should be discussed in the proper environment. You don’t conduct a business meeting outside on the street, so why this. The broadcasters are partly to blame by erecting the huge ‘honeypots’ of the scaffold towers on College Green, that just serve to attract the protesters like wasps.

The broadcasters would say that the platforms set up allow them to get guests quicker than they would if they had to travel to Millbank, go through security, etc. where they can just walk up to a set of stairs and meet a producer here.

Kay / Simon have also been quick to point out that if they were not to be, you would miss out on the murky side of what's happening, when it's their job to report it.
bilky asko5,324 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Brekkie gave kudos

The broadcasters would say that the platforms set up allow them to get guests quicker than they would if they had to travel to Millbank, go through security, etc. where they can just walk up to a set of stairs and meet a producer here.

We're dealing with politicians here, where vanity levels are off the scale. They will turn up for an interview, no matter where the location is.
Rkolsen gave kudos
Its reporting the mess that Brexit is, a bloody mess. Uncomfortable to watch though.

If public order deteriorates in a similar fashion to it has recently in Paris (which is still ongoing by the way, though watching broadcast UKTV news you wouldn't know it) then Anna Soubry having abuse hurled at her [1], will seem like a picnic on the green (literally)

[1] Which is totally unacceptable and vile, don't get me wrong
TROGGLES gave kudos