TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CY
cylon6
A little piece on BBC Two's current OSP - primarily the inconsistencies that have crept in on trails.

https://thetvroom.com/8120/blog/opinion-sort-out-your-trail-endboards-bbc-two/

One thing I definitely agree with is having 20 idents and only using 6 OVER and OVER again! It's soooooooooooo boring! That bloody crystal one ALWAYS on before a nature programme! The same ones each time for news! It's boring! And good on him for calling them out on not doing text the same way on endboards. Some say it's pedantry, I say it's wanting perfection.
WH
what
A little piece on BBC Two's current OSP - primarily the inconsistencies that have crept in on trails.

https://thetvroom.com/8120/blog/opinion-sort-out-your-trail-endboards-bbc-two/

One thing I definitely agree with is having 20 idents and only using 6 OVER and OVER again! It's soooooooooooo boring! That bloody crystal one ALWAYS on before a nature programme! The same ones each time for news! It's boring! And good on him for calling them out on not doing text the same way on endboards. Some say it's pedantry, I say it's wanting perfection.

They’ve got the software template, there’s just no excuse.
VM
VMPhil
On Friday night at the end of a repeat of the 1995 programme Billy Connolly: A Scot in the Arctic, there was this curiously anachronistic endcap:

TI
TIGHazard
On Friday night at the end of a repeat of the 1995 programme Billy Connolly: A Scot in the Arctic, there was this curiously anachronistic endcap:

International sales after 1997 perhaps? Someone here once linked a version of the Sylvester McCoy era of Doctor Who with the modern blocks during the titles and credits.
BA
bilky asko
I've often wanted to do one myself but I end up hating everything I write.

This forum has seen many a marathon post from Tumble Tower - I'm sure whatever you have to write will be far better.
Lou Scannon, VMPhil and Joe gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
International sales after 1997 perhaps? Someone here once linked a version of the Sylvester McCoy era of Doctor Who with the modern blocks during the titles and credits.

More likely it was done as part of a re-edit for a repeat, presumably this one - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1998-02-08#at-22.05

There was a version of a Two Ronnies Christmas show from 1982 they showed a couple of times that was re-edited for a repeat and given new end credits and a 1997 copyright date.
VM
VMPhil
I've often wanted to do one myself but I end up hating everything I write.

This forum has seen many a marathon post from Tumble Tower - I'm sure whatever you have to write will be far better.

That's very kind of you! Thank you Smile

More likely it was done as part of a re-edit for a repeat, presumably this one - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1998-02-08#at-22.05

There was a version of a Two Ronnies Christmas show from 1982 they showed a couple of times that was re-edited for a repeat and given new end credits and a 1997 copyright date.

Thanks for that, Steve. I've had a quick look online and found this low quality YouTube upload of another version of the programme, which uses what I assume is the original endcap:

This earlier version has a few notable changes compared to the circa 1998 edit. End credits in a different font and size, all footage in 4:3 rather than the mixture of camcorder footage in 4:3 and film footage in 14:9 on the '98 version, and most important of all… no censorship on the part at the end where Billy Connolly dances naked!
SH
Sh1ruba
Well, this thread seems to be collecting dust but I'm gonna change that!
The people behind that rather hypnotizing Paint ident, Twenty ThirdC along with Nik Hill, Stylow and Davy Evans, posted a behind the scenes development reel on Vimeo and it just so happens that real paint was involved in the making of this colourful ident.
Enjoy! Smile
CY
cylon6
The people behind that rather hypnotizing Paint ident, Twenty ThirdC along with Nik Hill, Stylow and Davy Evans, posted a behind the scenes development reel on Vimeo and it just so happens that real paint was involved in the making of this colourful ident.
Enjoy! Smile
https://vimeo.com/302303367

I like this ident and thought it was all CGI! Shows what I know! Very Happy

Would have liked it to do a little more than forward and reverse but it's still a great ident. Nice to see BBC2 using a few more idents last night than their usual 6. No two successive links should use the same ident. I'd love a day there to get my hands on those links and try some different ifehts there. Very Happy
BR
Brekkie
Great stuff. Think it worked better with white in the mix from the test shots.
IS
Inspector Sands

There is a tenancy for people to assume that everything is 'CGI' but in cases like that it's far easier and quicker to just do it for real
VM
VMPhil
Enjoy! Smile
https://vimeo.com/302303367

Would have liked it to do a little more than forward and reverse but it's still a great ident. Nice to see BBC2 using a few more idents last night than their usual 6. No two successive links should use the same ident. I'd love a day there to get my hands on those links and try some different ifehts there. Very Happy

I've noticed this with some recent TV idents, which have this problem where they are actually real, but they're so slick and professionally done that they don't look organic or human enough to be real and you think they're CGI. Too perfect, if that makes sense.

Newer posts