The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member

Since you brought up frame rate does the BBC run all their cameras in 50i?

Answered elsewhere
Quote:

Don’t current cameras allow you to choose frame rate so say photogs in North America (and South Korea) and the bureaus shoot in 50i instead of the typical 59.94 in those regions?

Yes most modern cameras allow 50/59.94 switching - a huge benefit since the HDTV standards chose common 1920x1080 and 1280x720 image standards across all frame rates. (SD cameras were region specific usually because of the fixed 480 or 576 line sensor size)

However it still makes sense to run your local bureaux at local frame rates, as I mention elsewhere.

Quote:

Curious as if the conversion to 50i and back to 59.94 for North America would degrade the picture quality?

Short answer = yes. And BBC News don't use particularly high-end converters either.

For non-News live sources the BBC will use motion compensating Snell/SAM Alchemists or For.A FRC8000s or similar. These are as close to transparent as you get in conversion terms, and are mandated for UK DPP tech specs.

For News live sources BBC News use lower cost conversion - more in the motion adaptive field (which wouldn't be acceptable under DPP) Not Teranex-bad - but not Alchemist-good...

For file-delivered News content a software based route is often used I believe. This may use ffmpeg/ffmbc which the BBC added previously patented frame rate conversion algorithms to (alongside the formerly patented Weston 3-field deinterlacer) which is also quite limited (but very low cost...)

For higher quality file conversion of non-News content, there are Alchemist software solutions (even an on-demand cloud solution) these days.

Quote:

And if they don’t shoot 50i but the 59.94 what does the conversion the vision mixer or another device.

Another device (usually costing a lot of money) - such as a PhC Alchemist.

Broadcast vision mixers wouldn't have standards conversion built in and only accept sources at their native frame rate. Some of the low-end Blackmagic stuff can accept other frame rates but the conversion is almost always junk. (Good standards onversion introduces a number of frames of vision delay that has to be compensated for too)
Last edited by noggin on 6 January 2019 1:06pm - 3 times in total
RK
Rkolsen
I

(*) ISTR that a US broadcaster with British Open Golf rights (TBS?) chose to remotely produce their coverage in the US, backhauling multiple 50Hz feeds, running their studio at 50Hz, and just converting the end result (not every feed). The biggest issue they hit was in-vision displays not accepting 50Hz inputs... Whilst all European HDTVs sold in shops happily accept 59.94/60Hz feeds, many North American models still don't accept 50Hz.

It would be NBC Sports and their Golf Channel. And apparently NBC can’t call it The British Open.
WO
Worzel
Nice to see Lizzie Greenwood-Hughes doing a down the line piece with Carole Walker standing in the sports newsroom itself, rather than within the sports set in Salford regarding the Wayne Rooney story.
RA
radiolistener
Moz posted:

I could be wrong but I could have sworn around this time last year either James Mobbs or Chris Cook (or someone else of their ilk at the BBC) hinted at Reith being rolled out across BBC News by November, as in end of 2018. Obviously we should never take such Tweets as gospel! Unless I have mis-remembered.

How dare you call them an elk! And, may I remind you, you only get a gnu with Ty-Phoo.

Oh, Ilk. You said Ilk. Sorry.

A font is a font. The vast majority of the viewing public won't even know their Arial from their Wingdings.

But it's not just a font - BBC News will get totally redesigned lower thirds.

99% of the viewers just want the unemployment figures, not care about "lower thirds".
BP
Bob Paisley
Moz posted:

How dare you call them an elk! And, may I remind you, you only get a gnu with Ty-Phoo.

Oh, Ilk. You said Ilk. Sorry.

A font is a font. The vast majority of the viewing public won't even know their Arial from their Wingdings.

But it's not just a font - BBC News will get totally redesigned lower thirds.

99% of the viewers just want the unemployment figures, not care about "lower thirds".

True, but the level of interest in 'lower thirds' in this forum will be considerably higher than that...
Stuart, Custard56 and BBI45 gave kudos
BA
bilky asko
I

(*) ISTR that a US broadcaster with British Open Golf rights (TBS?) chose to remotely produce their coverage in the US, backhauling multiple 50Hz feeds, running their studio at 50Hz, and just converting the end result (not every feed). The biggest issue they hit was in-vision displays not accepting 50Hz inputs... Whilst all European HDTVs sold in shops happily accept 59.94/60Hz feeds, many North American models still don't accept 50Hz.

It would be NBC Sports and their Golf Channel. And apparently NBC can’t call it The British Open.

The top comment does make a point with The Masters not being called The US Masters.
MA
Markymark

Do the US broadcasters run their London bureaux operations at 50 Hz, I'm not 100% sure they do ?
NG
noggin Founding member

Do the US broadcasters run their London bureaux operations at 50 Hz, I'm not 100% sure they do ?

No - they don't. They run at 59.94i, and convert 50Hz feeds incoming. This was also the case in the days of NTSC vs PAL ISTR. (Telegenic in the UK also had an NTSC-capable OB truck that was popular with US broadcasters in the UK)
NG
noggin Founding member
I

No - it wasn't NBC and their Golf Channel. I may have got the UK Golfing championship wrong, it may have been a Ryder Cup or a different British tournament.

There was a US SMPTE presentation (possibly a local branch) on how they did it, including a YouTube link, but I can't quickly find it. ISTR that they used public internet not guaranteed connectivity.
RO
rob Founding member
The Victoria Derbyshire programme is to get a refresh in a few weeks time. No other details as yet.
NE
Newsroom
rob posted:
The Victoria Derbyshire programme is to get a refresh in a few weeks time. No other details as yet.

Hopefully into storage.
WO
Worzel
rob posted:

Hopefully into storage.

I bet it's going to be Reith'd. Laughing

Newer posts