TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD

Final approval given by Ofcom, launching in 2019 (March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
what posted:
We don't need it, we didnt ask for it, the money would be better spent on more new programmes.

That can be said for a lot of things the BBC does. World News, for example.

That a different kettle of fish is it not? Foreign office helped pay for that, as part of its portagana war around the world.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Before everyone get their knickers in a twist.. Scotland has been unfunded for years on spending

Debatable. BBC Scotland serves the same number of license fee payers as BBC West Midlands. The latter has much less funding.
A former member
West midlands is also underfunded nowadays.
IS
Inspector Sands
what posted:

That's a good idea. Should Scotland pay a higher license fee to fund their extra services?

I can’t see that pleasing the Scottish Govt.

Though the Scottish government do fund a BBC TV service already.
A former member
Which dates back to 1990 and GTG, which controls all the rights to programmes made. Hence 1991 dangermouse and speaking pur laungues.
A former member
Promo has come back with out the logo...
TI
tightrope78
Which dates back to 1990 and GTG, which controls all the rights to programmes made. Hence 1991 dangermouse and speaking pur laungues.

????
JF
JetixFann450
So is there anything different in the promo apart from the removal of the logo?
A former member
The Broadcasting Act 1990 established a Gaelic Television Fund, administered by a Gaelic Television Committee (Comataidh Telebhisein Gàidhlig). The committee were given a £9 million budget. All rights no matter who made the shows belong to CTG..

This was repeated on BBC Alba in 2016..
IS
Inspector Sands
Promo has come back with out the logo...

It's still on their twitter feed as it was originally
IS
Inspector Sands
West midlands is also underfunded nowadays.

I don't think it's underfunded as such, its more under represented, and investment into the region isn't as much as it once was.

Though.one complication in comparing it they do spend a lot of money in the West Mids but it's mostly unknown back end stuff rather than something that actually appears on air
PE
Pete Founding member
By way of disclaimer, I wouldn't shed a single tear at Scotland going independent: provided not a single penny from the license fee was spent on the new state broadcaster, and STV was freed from the ITV Network and left to act as a commercial channel in its own right.

The short version is, I'm aggrieved that I am getting a poorer service for my money yet Scotland, once again arguing that it is some sort of special case, is getting an entire extra network, at the expense of the entire UK losing BBC Three.

It's not fair.

you're not getting a poorer service you're getting a different service.

Scotland (and Wales/NI) gets a "poorer" service in ways you don't pick up on, meaning it needs different services to make up for the structural issues that are inherent in the core service provided from England.

I don't happen to think that this new channel is the correct solution, and have issues with BBC Scotland's lack of vision in general, but the argument that Scotland should have nowt because you don't want to fund it with the fraction of a penny of your licence fee is appallingly knee jerk.

Also you are aware of how ITV works aren't you? It's not STV's fault that Granada own everyone else now.

Newer posts