TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD

Final approval given by Ofcom, launching in 2019 (March 2018)

LS
Lou Scannon West Country (East) Points West
BBC Scoltand has pulled the trail for the new channel as they are facing copyright issues with the logo...

With all the predictability of Greece voting for Cyprus at Eurovision...
Quatorzine Neko and Stuart gave kudos
JM
JamesM0984
Which segues into a rant I want to have... when you consider fairly small-scale projects like Radio 2 Eurovision have bitten the dust, right up to one of the Corporation's four TV networks, it truly beggars belief how anyone has been able to sign off this channel, especially when the Scottish audience is already extremely well catered for by opts on BBC One and BBC Two.

By way of disclaimer, I wouldn't shed a single tear at Scotland going independent: provided not a single penny from the license fee was spent on the new state broadcaster, and STV was freed from the ITV Network and left to act as a commercial channel in its own right.

The short version is, I'm aggrieved that I am getting a poorer service for my money yet Scotland, once again arguing that it is some sort of special case, is getting an entire extra network, at the expense of the entire UK losing BBC Three.

It's not fair.
marshmallow and all new Phil gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Which segues into a rant I want to have... when you consider fairly small-scale projects like Radio 2 Eurovision have bitten the dust, right up to one of the Corporation's four TV networks, it truly beggars belief how anyone has been able to sign off this channel, especially when the Scottish audience is already extremely well catered for by opts on BBC One and BBC Two.

The latter is disappearing once the new channel starts.

Have the short term stations been officially ruled out in future? I was always under the impression that they were the initiative of the production teams concerned, so it could well be that just the will, or the idea, isn't there at the moment.

Quote:
The short version is, I'm aggrieved that I am getting a poorer service for my money yet Scotland, once again arguing that it is some sort of special case, is getting an entire extra network, at the expense of the entire UK losing BBC Three.

It's not fair.

BBC Three as a linear channel closed years ago, there's no connection between that and the new channel - different budgets, different departments. And BBC Scotland is being launched with a tiny budget for a channel... and replacing an existing service.

The same goes for the niche radio services, minuscule budget and different department

The 'nations' will always be a special case, but then again they do lose out in terms of localness - Scotlands two radio stations aren't as local as the English equivalents, and neither is the TV news. Go tuning around the radio dial - in many places in the country you'll get more BBC services than someone in, say, Aberdeen.
Alex Plain-Later, tightrope78 and Jamesypoo gave kudos
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
We know the HD channel is taking the old BBC3 HD space but where are they getting the SD space for this on Freeview considering BBC Alba is already squeezed on the BBC mux by closing some radio stations.

I do agree with James sentiments on the channel itself but it is also ridiculous now IMO to launch a channel in SD and HD. Time to cut the cord on the former.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
We know the HD channel is taking the old BBC3 HD space but where are they getting the SD space for this on Freeview considering BBC Alba is already squeezed on the BBC mux by closing some radio stations.

I’m sure this has been answered up thread. BBC Scotland SD will be slotted in to the PSB1 mux in Scotland as an additional service. In short the mux in Scotland will have one extra service compared with the rest of the UK. Modern coding advances etc, ( same trick as PSB 2 where ITV 3 was recently added in )
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
NG
noggin Founding member

I’m sure this has been answered up thread. BBC Scotland SD will be slotted in to the PSB1 mux in Scotland as an additional service. In short the mux in Scotland will have one extra service compared with the rest of the UK. Modern coding advances etc, ( same trick as PSB 2 where ITV 3 was recently added in )

Do they still ditch the 'analogue' radio services on PSB1 in Scotland to make space for BBC Alba during its TX hours?
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today

Do they still ditch the 'analogue' radio services on PSB1 in Scotland to make space for BBC Alba during its TX hours?

Only some of them now I think?
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Is there not an argument that the devolved governments should be funding some of the additional content that is over and above what English Regions get? It doesn't seem particularly equitable that the license payers of Scotland get more bang for their buck than those in English Regions serving a similar population.

Much like how a community that wants the benefits of a Parish Council over and above the local authority has to pay for it?

Like when Local Radio started, the areas that wanted it paid for it.
Write that down in your copybook now.
marshmallow and Closedown gave kudos
JM
JamesM0984
Is there not an argument that the devolved governments should be funding some of the additional content that is over and above what English Regions get? It doesn't seem particularly equitable that the license payers of Scotland get more bang for their buck than those in English Regions serving a similar population.

Much like how a community that wants the benefits of a Parish Council over and above the local authority has to pay for it?

That's a good idea. Should Scotland pay a higher license fee to fund their extra services?
WH
what West Country (East) Points West

That's a good idea. Should Scotland pay a higher license fee to fund their extra services?

I can’t see that pleasing the Scottish Govt.
:-(
A former member
We don't need it, we didnt ask for it, the money would be better spent on more new programmes.

Before everyone get their knickers in a twist.. Scotland has been unfunded for years on spending .. How the bbc is trying to resolve this is madness.
WH
what West Country (East) Points West
We don't need it, we didnt ask for it, the money would be better spent on more new programmes.

That can be said for a lot of things the BBC does. World News, for example.

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic