The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
News intros don't get more fast-paced and dramatic than this 1977 American example -- at the 2:45 mark (w/ an interesting glimpse at 1970s ENG technology to boot):

BB
BBI45
Production of RTL II News has moved to Köln (Cologne), resulting in a new chromakey studio, and shorter intro:

For comparison, here is their last broadcast from Berlin:
MO
Mouseboy33
I know they love them in Germany, but those chromakey sets....oooof! Thats a hard no from me.
CI
cityprod
I know they love them in Germany, but those chromakey sets....oooof! Thats a hard no from me.

That to me is a virtual studio setup, not a chromakey setup, cos the background moves in relation to the camera, rather than being static.

I admit, I don't particularly like the RTL2 set, but ARDs set is so much better.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I would say that either virtual or chromakey is accurate. Virtual is arguably a special case of chromakey in this context.
bilky asko and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
chromakey, virtual ehhh. same difference. Its a human superimposed on a fake background. Never been a fan.
BBI45 and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
The pedestal they have seems incredibly awkward and the newscast seems really casual. Are they going for a young audience?
NG
noggin Founding member
The pedestal they have seems incredibly awkward and the newscast seems really casual. Are they going for a young audience?

I think RTL II is a channel aimed at a younger demographic, so I guess they are.
GU
guest03
Since the move the news are produced by InfoNetwork, which is also the news provider for the other channels within the RTL Network in Germany (RTL, n-tv, VOX). Before, RTL II has had its own news team.
When this move was announced some months ago, the start time was changed from 8 pm to 5 pm and they've also get rid of their weekend bulletins.
WW
WW Update
The original video was removed; here it is again for those of us who missed it:

WW
WW Update

I think RTL II is a channel aimed at a younger demographic, so I guess they are.

And as part of that youth-oriented approach, the newscasts on RTL II (or RTL 2 as it originally styled itself) have long featured an "alternative" approach to presentation.

In the mid-1990s, RTL 2 used the American Action News brand:

A few years later, the channel adopted a minimalist look and feel conceived by British graphics designer Neville Brody:

BR
Brekkie
Today in Australia have announced Deborah Knight, the shows most regular fill in over the last year, as the replacement for Karl, co-hosting with Georgie Gardner. Tom Steinfort joins as the shows newsreader, though with an increased role.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/01/deb-knight-tom-steinfort-join-georgie-on-today.html

Newer posts