TV Home Forum

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Sunday 8pm on ITV (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gottago
As far as I know, ITV are just the broadcaster, just like they were before, thus don't have any involvement in the money being given away?

No ITV have commissioned and paid for the series and there will be a cash pot allocated in the budget specifically for prize money, as with every quiz show.

I always thought it was the sponsor if the programme that paid the money.

Unless there’s been a special circumstance I’m unaware of, the channel will always pay for the prize money via the budget they pay for the show. Having said that back in the day the prize money for Millionaire was at least partly funded via the premium rate numbers people rang to apply to be on the show.

Sponsorship will often be sold after a show has been made and doesn’t normally have an impact on the production of the show.
AA
Amber Avenger
There is a premium rate phone competition, so whilst I doubt that it'll be paying for the whole prize pot, it won't do much harm for it either
BR
Brekkie
Something interesting in the T&Cs for that which I've not seen before is pointing viewers to itv.com/win for "special offers", which turns out to be the T&Cs pointing out if you enter twice from the same number you get a free third entry, and for each subsequent entry (up to 15) you effectively get two for the price of one.
RD
RDJ
Something interesting in the T&Cs for that which I've not seen before is pointing viewers to itv.com/win for "special offers", which turns out to be the T&Cs pointing out if you enter twice from the same number you get a free third entry, and for each subsequent entry (up to 15) you effectively get two for the price of one.

It's actually to do with the credits system which you accumulate for every competition you enter via the website which enables you to spend your credits to enter exclusive draws.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
chris posted:
RDJ posted:
They are definitely a more intelligent standard of contestant this series. No Tipping Point types.

It's people like these that I relate to much less. The money is meaningless, it's just an excuse to test their cranium.

That's one negative of Fastest Finger First as it's usually much more difficult for Jane from Kidderminster to get through playing for money to do up their downstairs loo.

Stereotyping those with less money as being dumber... nice.

The contestants are much, much better and there are no dull sob stories.

Not sure that's a valid interpretation of what RDJ said. Stereotyping those with more money as being less interesting to a production team because they have no sob story is nearer the mark, I'd say.
RD
RDJ
chris posted:
RDJ posted:

It's people like these that I relate to much less. The money is meaningless, it's just an excuse to test their cranium.

That's one negative of Fastest Finger First as it's usually much more difficult for Jane from Kidderminster to get through playing for money to do up their downstairs loo.

Not sure that's a valid interpretation of what RDJ said. Stereotyping those with more money as being less interesting to a production team because they have no sob story is nearer the mark, I'd say.

Correct. Suggesting they were dumber was not where I was going at all.

If they're playing for money for something that means a lot to them, then that will connect the audience to them more.

Example here:

The problem with the format of Fastest Finger First is that the contestants not necessarily playing for money and rather to test themselves will be more likely to be intensively practising at home answering questions at speed and therefore most likely to get through to play.
TT
ttt
Chris Tarrant said a few years back the show was very expensive to run and he'd be surprised if it returned but here we are.

I suspect it won't be on very often. It hasn't been on since May last year.

And yet it runs as a cheap daily syndie filler show in the States. Can't be that expensive, surely?
JK
JKDerry
ttt posted:
Chris Tarrant said a few years back the show was very expensive to run and he'd be surprised if it returned but here we are.

And yet it runs as a cheap daily syndie filler show in the States. Can't be that expensive, surely?

The US syndication deal is worth millions of dollars in advertising and sponsorship, something which is not possible here in the UK. The syndication rights, sponsorship and advertising ensure the US version makes a good profit.
GM
Gary McEwan
ttt posted:

The US syndication deal is worth millions of dollars in advertising and sponsorship, something which is not possible here in the UK. The syndication rights, sponsorship and advertising ensure the US version makes a good profit.

The US version now though is a complete mess. I have no idea why Valleycrest Productions went down the route they did just before Meredith Vieira left the show in changing it all.

I thought the various productions company and/or TV Companies weren't to deviate from the original outline of the show?
CH
chris
RDJ posted:
chris posted:

If they're playing for money for something that means a lot to them, then that will connect the audience to them more.

Example here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1b-EwfzPK8

The problem with the format of Fastest Finger First is that the contestants not necessarily playing for money and rather to test themselves will be more likely to be intensively practising at home answering questions at speed and therefore most likely to get through to play.

Sorry I thought you meant Fast Finger First eliminated poorer, therefore stupid people.

And even then I’m not sure I agree. People enjoy the drama of the game, not continual sob stories, and I would argue people who are desperate for the money are much more likely to walk away sooner.

ttt posted:

The US version now though is a complete mess. I have no idea why Valleycrest Productions went down the route they did just before Meredith Vieira left the show in changing it all.

I thought the various productions company and/or TV Companies weren't to deviate from the original outline of the show?

I thought it was now back to a traditional millionaire format, having got rid of the weird shuffle version?
GM
Gary McEwan
chris posted:
RDJ posted:

Example here:

Sorry I thought you meant Fast Finger First eliminated poorer, therefore stupid people.

And even then I’m not sure I agree. People enjoy the drama of the game, not continual sob stories, and I would argue people who are desperate for the money are much more likely to walk away sooner.

I thought it was now back to a traditional millionaire format, having got rid of the weird shuffle version?

It's basically still that version except they've ditched the shuffle element.

They're still using that ridiculous music as well which is absolutely god awful.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
chris posted:
RDJ posted:

Example here:

It's basically still that version except they've ditched the shuffle element.

They're still using that ridiculous music as well which is absolutely god awful.

It's even worse, they've got new graphics....
bilky asko and DavidWhitfield gave kudos

Newer posts