The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I'm surprised Ian king has been moved to half one... I can see this show being axed soon.

Considering Sky's business coverage is that 30 minute slot, I wouldn't be happy for it to be cut to just market updates on-screen after commercial breaks.

Is arguable though axing Ian King in favour of a business presenter cropping up each hour (e.g. from 11-5) could make more sense for a rolling news channel.
Newsroom24 and London Lite gave kudos
TT
TTRWE
Dave posted:
It looks awful and just plain lazy.

Two huge screens just a showing grey... how hard would it have been to have just got 2 relevant images to the topic they are showing, Chuck one on the left and one on the right... simple

It's incredibly bland, from the (awful) music that has been recycled from many many years ago, the horrible title card, the fact the place is so bare and it looks like they've shoved a sofa in a big space that is awaiting interior fit out or a new build house that has had nothing but the walls put up.

It feels like they've gone back two years to when the glass box has first launched and the blandness of how it was then, before they added some colour and lightboxes which made it look much better. I thought the sofas in the corner of the glass box were bad but this set-up is even worse.

For all the flexibility we're told the virtual studio allows, it's still not able to do things that the old studio used to do easily. I really hope that Comcast shake things up eventually and we go back to proper news studios, the current set-up is so bland and whilst it's claimed that the set-up is versatile, the output doesn't show it.

As for the move of Ian King, that's silly if you ask me, but it's hardly the same level of program it used to be when Jeff Randall was there, I think King is a far weaker presenter.
WO
Worzel
I notice Sky News are still using their old logo DOG on the New Year Facebook live streams.
LH
lhx1985
They've been using their HD DOG on SD for all their review programmes since before Christmas and are still doing it today. Lack of attention to detail.
PL
plymouthbloke1974
On a slightly unrelated note - did anyone notice the distinct lack of “Quarter Bells” on Big Ben at Midnight? Checked several channels (as I recorded them) and they were just not there - just the “bongs” at 00:00..... noticed it on Sky News first hence plopping it here Very Happy

Happy New Year to all as well Wink
WO
Worzel
On a slightly unrelated note - did anyone notice the distinct lack of “Quarter Bells” on Big Ben at Midnight? Checked several channels (as I recorded them) and they were just not there - just the “bongs” at 00:00..... noticed it on Sky News first hence plopping it here Very Happy

Cough cough, Queen Elizabeth Tower, cough cough.

BBC News ran a report about this on the run up to new year. Due to the maintenance work being done to the clock and tower itself as part of the overhaul, the quarter bells have been removed from the tower. The main Big Ben Bell was put back in on the run up to Remembrance Sunday and for New Year. It's being run from an electronic GPS system and not by the standard clock work method which only allows it to chime at certain times.

For those who are curious, the tower has 5 bells. 4 are quarter bells plus the main bell (Big Ben).

Happy New Year.
Last edited by Worzel on 1 January 2019 3:48am - 9 times in total
London Lite, Ittr and Lou Scannon gave kudos
DA
Dave Founding member
Sky news have been involved in a shocking disregard for maintaining the dull, lifeless presentation of 2018 and made use of the screens for something other than wallpaper..... either that or the computer broke, returned to normal a few mins later.

VM
VMPhil

Cough cough, Queen Elizabeth Tower, cough cough.

BBC News ran a report about this on the run up to new year. Due to the maintenance work being done to the clock and tower itself as part of the overhaul, the quarter bells have been removed from the tower. The main Big Ben Bell was put back in on the run up to Remembrance Sunday and for New Year. It's being run from an electronic GPS system and not by the standard clock work method which only allows it to chime at certain times.

For those who are curious, the tower has 5 bells. 4 are quarter bells plus the main bell (Big Ben).

Happy New Year.

For those interested in learning more about this, I recommend the Channel 4 programme Big Ben: Countdown to New Year, which was shown on 30th December, and is the second in a sporadic series of programmes about the renovation work on the tower. It’s being repeated tonight at 9pm on 4seven.
Stuart and watchingtv gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Dave posted:
Sky news have been involved in a shocking disregard for maintaining the dull, lifeless presentation of 2018 and made use of the screens for something other than wallpaper..... either that or the computer broke, returned to normal a few mins later.

Looks so much better like that using the full height.
EY
the eye
Is that their main set? Opposite the green corner?
WA
watchingtv
A nice little simulcast for New Year for Sky News & Sky One - starting to see more simulcast mainly sport, but I thought News was a big step for Sky.
OV
Orry Verducci
A nice little simulcast for New Year for Sky News & Sky One - starting to see more simulcast mainly sport, but I thought News was a big step for Sky.

I've not always checked so I may be wrong, but I believe Sky One has simulcasted the fireworks from Sky News every year.

Newer posts