TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry

It might have been Studio 10, up on the tenth floor. It was used by LWT a lot. In 2003 it was converted back into office space.

Studio 10 wasn't built till the late 80s, a long time before Elton John and Kiki Dee.

I read elsewhere from a reliable source that it was shot in studio 1, oddly

Studio 1 - a vast studio used for that? Really? I would have thought it would have been Studio 3 or 5.
JK
JKDerry
The programme showed it is a strange situation for all involved. The actions are essentially a repeat in those shutting television centre as if no one has learned the now infamous 'lessons' which professionals and government minions always say should be learned from a large cock-up!.

But It's a funny old world, perhaps the BBC could recover the license fee money wasted by Mr Hunt on local TV (plus a bit of goodwill compensation from HM Government) & buy the place. We could have Breakfast from London in the next door studio as Good Morning Britain & release TC3 for production, instead of squatting old clapped out film studios in Elstree use a purpose built building.

It all sounds unlikely & quite ridiculous I know but then so is, for example, the BBC showing Graham Norton who is on a BBC contract but whos show is owned by ITV, but made by BBC Staff in BBC studios which they used to own but sold then rented back, two of which they rent to ITV to make their own programmes.

As I said its a funny old world and my head hurts trying to understand any logical reason for any of this Shocked

"Clapped out film studios in Elstree" - the BBC spent millions on refurbishing them for the move in 2013. Stages 8 and 9 got new studio floors and from what I have heard, both stages are great to use now. Strictly in George Lucas Stage 2 shows how well that large stage works, and Studio D was refitted with new equipment from Television Centre studios.

Hardly clapped out.
BR
Brekkie
The programme showed it is a strange situation for all involved. The actions are essentially a repeat in those shutting television centre as if no one has learned the now infamous 'lessons' which professionals and government minions always say should be learned from a large cock-up!.

Though on the flip side it was fronted by somebody with a 20 year career who has never hosted a show there, so perhaps not such an unwise decision after all.
JK
JKDerry

Though on the flip side it was fronted by somebody with a 20 year career who has never hosted a show there, so perhaps not such an unwise decision after all.

I got the sense that all the talk about caring but no one really cared about them leaving.

Whereas the BBC departure from Television Centre in 2013 seemed much more reflective and genuine sadness. This programme did not have that feel at all.

To be honest, the history of that wonderful building is just as important as Television Centre, but I got the sense ITV created a 45 minute token filler programme for the summer, but because of sport, decided to air it over Christmas.
IS
Inspector Sands

Studio 1 - a vast studio used for that? Really? I would have thought it would have been Studio 3 or 5.

Hence my use of the word 'oddly'. I suppose it's just them singing in a room with what looks like a recording studio wall,nthe size of the studio doesn't matter, it's just a corner of whatever was free
UKnews and Markymark gave kudos
MA
Markymark

It might have been Studio 10, up on the tenth floor. It was used by LWT a lot. In 2003 it was converted back into office space.

Studio 10 wasn't built till the late 80s, a long time before Elton John and Kiki Dee.

Mark and Lard did their Radio 1 show for a few weeks from a flight case rig in the middle of BBC Manchester’s main TV production studio, if I wasn’t full of booze right now, I’d find you a photo
VM
VMPhil

Mark and Lard did their Radio 1 show for a few weeks from a flight case rig in the middle of BBC Manchester’s main TV production studio, if I wasn’t full of booze right now, I’d find you a photo

Is it this one? Webcam image, originally posted by buster

SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think that was due to the politics of the Birt era (Producer Choice) rather than it being a sensible solution to their normal studio being out of action for a refurb.

The part of the BBC that nominally produced Radcliffe's show were short of a studio, in the bonkers Birt Beeb it was cheaper to hire an OB set up and plonk it in TV Studio A than to hire a proper radio studio elsewhere (eg one of GMRs or BBC Leeds) for a few days.
MA
Markymark
I think that was due to the politics of the Birt era (Producer Choice) rather than it being a sensible solution to their normal studio being out of action for a refurb.

The part of the BBC that nominally produced Radcliffe's show were short of a studio, in the bonkers Birt Beeb it was cheaper to hire an OB set up and plonk it in TV Studio A than to hire a proper radio studio elsewhere (eg one of GMRs or BBC Leeds) for a few days.

2001 was the Dyke era though, ( 1998 to 2003 ?)
SP
Steve in Pudsey
In which case somebody should have got their cut the crap card out when that idea was proposed!
CO
commseng
When Birt left the structures he had put in place and the army of accountants and admin folks that were looking after them remained.
I remember logging 10p ISDN calls with a 15 digit code with a mix of numbers and letters. Crazy when you were busy trying just to get a job done.
UKnews and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
BL
bluecortina

Yes, TLS studio1. I saw this clip on youtube tube a long time ago and popped into St1 to confirm. As I subsequently understand it, Elton was in a studio next door doing some show or other when someone decided he and Kiki had to do a video for their single. Given the lack of time they just went into a bare studio 1 and simply did it. The studio walling you see in the video is along the short studio wall opposite the scene dock doors. Just a few people sat in the audience seating I am told.
Inspector Sands, UKnews and Markymark gave kudos

Newer posts